• Register Today It's free!

DAMN CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

mgv366

Reaction score
City, State
long island,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac
Ok...I spent all day Saturday working on the EX.
Replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, EGR valve, O2 sensors, PCV valve, Rear Brakes and a bunch of other little stuff..
Figured I would not have to look at that annoying little check engine light anymore...WRONG!!! Came on like clockwork about 5 minutes after the truck was running...
What else can be giving me that CEL??
1994 XLT 116K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What code is it throwing? Just replacing stuff without knowing what is setting off the CEL, is not good repair policy for you or your bank account.

I took it to a friend with a code reader and it came back with something about EGR. I forget the exact terminology. Is there anything else with the EGR I may have missed?
Plus I have a good connection for parts..Little to no expense.

Originally posted by mgv366
Is there anything else with the EGR I may have missed?
Yes, the PFE. It is the device that actually controls your EGR Valve. When it has gone (or is going) bad, it will throw codes related to EGR flow.

Im seriously thinking about taking out the CEL bulb in my X. I had the same thing with the EGR valve and sensor and had my mechanic replace them all. For that and a few other things it was like $325. Then i drive my 15 hour road trip to Florida not a problem at all. The day after i get here and drive around a little bit, it comes on again. Its like the 5th time this thing has come on for a different thing each time too. Are these things too sensitive, or is it Ford's way of making money?? It also seems to be the only bulb that doesnt burn out in x's. :)

Like Robb said, it's probaby your DPFE causing the EGR code. It's pretty common on Explorers.

Go ahead and pull it out... Just don't move to ANY town that does emmissions tests... Because they check to make sure that light is working and not on... Most places its an automatic fail if it is on, or dosen't work!!!

this seems like a good place to ask a question about the CEL on a 92 explorer.... hope you don't mind

anyway

recently i moved to texas, from california. i drove there with my ex and i towed a small u-haul trailer with most of my stuff in it.

most of the trip was through the desert, so it was hot (on a side note i got to see the grand canyon for the first time and also that huge crator that is in arizona!). Somewhere between barstow, california, and needles, california (a good 200 miles i think) the CEL came on. It stayed on most of the trip, except after the car was turned off and rested for a while. Shortly after starting back up, it would come back on (like maybe 20 minutes).

the only times i can think of when it wasn't on for sure was when the temperature outside was lower than 80 degrees maybe (like at night, or when we drove through the higher areas of arizona).

now that i'm settled down in texas, the CEL never comes on (it never did before the trip, either). It could be so many things.. and i never bothered to find out what codes it was throwing out... but i wonder if anyone has an idea of what could have been the problem.

also, before the trip (which was 1500 miles) i changed the oil and did a bunch of other maintenance stuff to it, new alternator, new radiator.... i was a litte paranoid i guess hehe. replacing the radiator was worth it though, because we were able to use air conditioning for most of the trip. it would have been miserable with out it, because it was pretty hot most of the way.

the 1500 miles was pretty much continuous, we never stopped for more than a few minutes to a half hour. 25 hours straight in the car gets really wierd. its like that whole day just sort of melted together (and the night too).

thanks for any help/information you can provide!

Eraser: if the incident was recent enough (40-80 start cycles), the PCM should still have a trouble code stored in continuous memory. Run the KOEO test (www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html ) and see what code comes up

The check engine light is a valuable tool, for those who take the time to use and understand what it does.

Happy Exploring

Chris

Back