• Register Today It's free!

Dana 20 swap possible?

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
In my 99' SAS'd explorer, the Tcase seems to be shot.

I can get a Dana 20 for a good price. HAs anyone swapped this in behind the stock auto tranny?

I have seen a few projects that changed out both the tcase and the tranny, but Is it possible to keep the stock tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope.
The dana 20 will not bolt up to your transmission.

What engine do you have helps this thread a great deal.

I believe someone (can't remember their name) used a C5 and D20. What engine is in it now?

the dana 20 will go behind the AOD or the C4/5
But it will not go behind any transmissions that came with a stock Explorer.

The 4r70W (5.0L auto) is esentially a AOD, Advance Adapters makes a Aod to D20 tailshaft stub shaft and housing.
this is the route I would take, and might down the road.
the Dana 20 rules because it can be built tough and you can get gear sets for it.

I believe you can twin stick a 20 too.

It is the 4.0 ohv

And yes you can twin stick the D20.

Alright then, what options would I have for replacing the tcase? or is it just simpler to rebuild the stock one?

When the Tcase in these goes bad, What is the most common problem? Is it worth it to look into rebuilding?

Are you SURE that the t-case is bad? It could just be the shift motor, switch, etc. which are more common to go out.

After I posted the above, I did more research and looked it over some more. It is making the "click" like the switch is working. Which from reading other post would suggest the shift motor is the culprit correct?

M y #1 choice is a swap for a manual Tcase. I though the Dana 20 might be possible but that idea got shot down.

Since that shift motor seems to run a couple hundred $'s to replace if it needs it, I was looking into junk yard tcases while I was at it.

Back