So that I can make truckhaven next weekend | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So that I can make truckhaven next weekend

jobunn

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clarita, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
I need some help. I am swapping my auto tcase in my '99 for the BW1354 manual. I have finally amassed everything I need, put the tcase in and am installing the driveshaft. But the damn driveshaft is too long! Both the tcase and driveshaft are from a '94. The driveshaft is too long by a half inch, but I can imagine if it was supposed to fit it would bolt right up. And yes I put some elbow grease into it but still no go. Any suggestions on how to make it fit?

By the way, a 2nd gen, auto tranny, SOHC tcase swap for a 1354 is a direct bolt on but you need a few extra parts that are not easy to come by. I think to myself now..."why the hell did I ever start modifying this thing?" I should have started with a first gen explorer.

Find a local driveline shop and have the shorten it an inch or so.

Or if you have access to a welder. Cut it in half then cut an inch or so piece off one of the ends. Get a piece of 2.5" by .120 tubing about 6" long and sleave the two pieces together. Then weld it up. Make sure you keep the u joints in phase though. This is how I did mine only I lengthened it.

On second though you have a second gen so it will be spinning all the time so I think a shop would be a better option

Here is a pic of how I did mine for the heck of it.

Attachments

• driveshaft.jpg
    driveshaft.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 128

thanks. I just called a shop and hopefully I can get it done Tuesday.

Back