• Register Today It's free!

Manual 1354 Swap Question

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
I have read everything I can find, but I am still not completely clear on a few things.

I have a 99 Explorer Auto tranny with the electric Tcase. I have swapped in a D44 out of an EB to the front end.

I have the Manual BW 1354 out of a Ranger that I want to swap in. Since I have the solid front axle, do I have to do anything to it besides bolt it in and hook up the driveshafts?

There are two spots for electrical conections on the 1354. Does anything need to go there? What about the original wiring harness from the electric tcase...does any of that still need to be reused?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i jus swapped mine in and hooked up the driveshafts. pulled my instrument cluster out and removed my 4wd lights cuz they were flashing then and i was good to go. i used nothing from my stock transfer case...

If you do a search, Kirby N tells how you can wire it up to have the 4x4 light come on with the manual t-case. ;) Other than that, all the electricals can go to the trash. :)

I Saw that write up. I really dont care about the dash lights so that doesnt bother me. I jsut wanted to double check everything. Thanks for the replys.

I have another question about this swap, this time concerning the shift linkage. Which I was unable to get with my Tcase

In the main how to thread Kris (i believe it was him) gave a part # for the shift linkage as OF0T2-7210-A

This is the shift linkage for the ranger. I checked with ford and its a discontinued part #.

Question is, is this the only part people have gotten to work or is there another option? can a home made job be fabed up easily with proper tools? or do I jsut need to find one with a parts finder or whatever liek the Tcase?

Also does anyone have any pictures of the linkage itself? or a diagram?

Thanks for the help guys

the manual 13-54 shift linkage is a little rare... but fortunately the 13-50 is not so rare and you can often find a few vehicles in ur local junk yard with a manual 13-50 shift linkage.

the good thing about the 13-50 is that its shift pattern is exactly the same as the 13-54. in addition, the distance between the shift points match between the two transfer cases.

the bad thing is the 13-50's mounting bracket holes doesnt exactly match the transmission (i have two 5r55e and it didnt match either of them). the image below is the 13-50's sitting on a 5r55e.
shifter_on_5r55e.jpg

this image below shows you the mounting hole difference.
shifter_mounting_offset.jpg

so as you can see, the difference isnt too bad and im sure you can fab up something to take care of that.

because i have a body lift, i had to do a little more than just take care of the difference in mounting holes. i chose to raise the whole shifter and also move it to the driver's side because i have a full length center console. the raise changed the geometry of the shifter linkage so i had to chnage a few things. below are some images of the design i went with (these shots were taken before the whole thing was completed - i dont think i ever took shots after i finished it - sorry)
driver_side.jpg

passenger_side.jpg

the image below is the connector concept. as you can see, its two 7/16" hiem joints, two 7/16" bolts who's heads have been cut off, two 7/16" jam nuts, and an intermediary metal tube who's inside diamter is just slightly larger than the outside diameter of the 2 bolts. the two bolts' body is then welded inside the intermediary tube. i chose to go with heim joints often used on go-karts with a fine thread. the threaded body allows the geometry to be adjusted a little bit while the "orbital" eyes allowed the whole linkage to have a little bit of a lateral (side to side) angle between the "arm" thats connected to the mounting bracket and the shift lever on the transfer case.
joint_link.jpg

as for the shift boot, well the original shift boot was torn and it was kinda wider than i wanted (due to the full length center console), so i went with a M-151's (a military jeep, often called the "Mutt") transfer case shift boot.. i bought one from this place on E-bay called "SkyCraft" ... heres an image of the boot as SkyCraft had it on E-bay
M51%20Boot.jpg

Thanks for those pictures That helps alott.

the 1350 came in bronco II's right? what else can you find them in?

yeah BIIs had em. i dunno what else they came in (early rangers?) but there are a few threads on the message board that discusses this. i got mine from a BII in a local junky yard.

Yeah chris i'm using a 1350 shifter as well.

I just drilled out the rear hole and made it a 'slot' instead of a hole. Tighten the bolt nice and snug, i haven't had any problems with it yet

are you talking about the 1350 shifter?

If so i got the shifter and boot out of a BII in the junk yard.

Yeah i found it in MS when i was still living there.

Chris4x4Gill2 said:
How easy is the install on this? is it possible without pulling the tranny?

if u mean do u have to pull the tranny to install the transfer case then no u don't. the transfer case should bolt right up no problems. hardest part is the linkage. and even that isn't too big of a deal. u will proably have to get u driveshafts custom made weather u need to lengthen or shorten or whatever. your stock front driveshaft shouldn't work with that tansfer case. mine didn't. i bought the front driveshaft with my transfer case and had to lengthen it. by the way very nice explorer. last time i checked this thread i don't think u had pics yet. anyways looks great :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments.

I already have a driveshaft for the front that by eyeballing it should work. I'm optimistic that the back will fit too, although it may have to be exstended a little bit.

Hopefully I have the linkage on its way now so this should be almost ready to go in.

Back