• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 and 8.8 gear question

Harder93

Reaction score
City, State
Buckley, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
I know some parts on the dana 35 and 28 are the same will the gears transfer over from a 28 to a 35? and also the same question on a 7.5 to the 8.8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No. the ring gear on the D28 is smaller than the ring gear on the D35. Same for the 7.5 and 8.8. In this latter case, the 7.5 and 8.8 specifically refer to the ring gear diameter (7.5 has a 7.5 inch diameter ring gear, the 8.8 has an 8.8 inch diameter ring gear).

By definition, a Ford "7.5" ring gear is 7.5 inches in diameter and a Ford "8.8" is 8.8 inches in diameter. So having said that, the gears between these two axles will probably not swap over. The diameter determines how far the pinion gear is from the ring gear's axis of rotation.

Ok thanks for the input

And just incase it crossed your mind, DO NOT swap those axles under your Explorer.

The only axle swap that has crossed my mind is the 9" and Dana 44 combo and the d30 jeep axle still crosses my mind

The only axle swap that has crossed my mind is the 9" and Dana 44 combo and the d30 jeep axle still crosses my mind

Sounds good, but the 8.8 is a strong axle so if you go d30 you might as well stick with the 8.8 for ease of the same bolt pattern spacing front and rear.

The bolt pattern and matching width is the whole reason I would do that swap. I love the 8.8 and would never swap it out with anything but a 9 inch

A D30 is downgrading. If you feel you have to swap axles, D44 at minimum.

Back