Dana 35 Trac-Lok | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 Trac-Lok

FoMoCoPower

Reaction score
I have a Dana 35 Trac-Lok out of a jeep for 3.54 and numerically higher gears,and was told that this will work in the TTB-35 because the reverse cut gears used the same ring-bolt pattern as this diff. If I understand correctly, this would mean that this differential can be used in the TTB-35.

Can anyone confirm this??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It *should*... But who would use a Trac-Loc when there are so many better options out there? Like a TruTrac for one... I'd rather have a front LSD that truly limits the slipping wheel, instead of one that'll let the wheel spin to no end once they start...

Because I already own it,have zero dollars into it,and it is an upgrade over an open diff.

Not everyone has craploads of money to spend at will.

Exactly! I ran one in front for years, before upgrading to a locker, and it did well offroad.
Sorry, I don't know about whether yours will fit or not, though.

I am not a mechanic but here are the most obvious questions to answer. What is the spline count on the carrier? I believe that the D35 on our explorers is 27, but you should check, you can do a search. I would also check axle shaft diameters, more research. If you can past the research, then the next problem is that changing carriers requires you to reset up the gears, $$$$.

Both are 27-spline.Just want to make sure that they are indeed interchangable,I`ve built a couple Cherokee`s and am new to the Explorer thing.

Well,I kinda need to reset the gears anyways as i plan to toss in some 4.56 or 4.88`s.Tall tires kinda suck with stock gearing on-road or off-road.

then the next problem is that changing carriers requires you to reset up the gears, $$$$.
Not always, I did an LS to open carrier swap in my 7.5, used the shims and races that were with the open carrier and used them in my axle with the open carrier, everything was within spec, also remember the pinion depth doesn't change, I know someone else who did the same thing on his 8.8, I did mine over a year ago and I daily drive it with no problems.

It *should*... But who would use a Trac-Loc when there are so many better options out there? Like a TruTrac for one... I'd rather have a front LSD that truly limits the slipping wheel, instead of one that'll let the wheel spin to no end once they start...

i have a trac-loc and like it :D

Back