Dare i ask; a 2002 4.0 to 3.0 Ranger Vulcan swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dare i ask; a 2002 4.0 to 3.0 Ranger Vulcan swap?

Geeshik

Reaction score
City, State
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer XLT 4.oh
Is this a possibility even temporarily? I have a 4wd 2002 Explorer 4.0 that needs the engine pulled and all of the timing cassettes replaced. I was wondering what would be involved and if the 5R55W trans would bolt together with the right motor mounts?

Horsepower isn't a huge issue for me, i drive like your grandpa anyway. I have lots of experience with the 3.0 and believe they are among the greatest engines ford ever devised. Any feedback? This is my second 4.0 explorer and while i like the room they have, i don't have anything but bad experience with the 4.0. I plan on fixing it for now, but have more than entertained the notion of a swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The SOHC 4.0L that you have are not very good because of how the timing chains and cassettes are designed. Which you know since that's the very problem you're having. The earlier 4.0L OHV that they used to use are nearly bullet proof and a lot better. Instead of rebuilding yours you might want to consider putting a good 4.0L OHV in there.

They had problems oiling the top end though. I have had one of those in the past and was a little less than impressed as well. In addition to that, i helped a friend replace the one in his truck due to the oiling issue. As far as i know the only weak link in the modern 3.0 is the synchro shaft. From a maintenance standpoint it is much easier to replace than timing casettes, and the timing chain in a 3.0 is a snap to replace. Just saying...

No. Trans won't bolt to it. All wiring would be custom as well as some type of standalone engine management. Further ahead getting a beater or a rental car for the duration.

That's kinda what i thought. I read somewhere that the vulcan engine is a different bolt pattern and the 5R55W had a one piece, non-removable (or interchangeable) transmission casting/bellhousing. I just wasn't sure. I don't want to hack the wiring up on a temporary basis. If i was going for a full repower, i'd probably do a Mercedes diesel, but i don't have that kind of time or money right now.

On the 4.0 OHV there is the infamous lifter tap from them not being oiled enough. But most of the time they actually don't have any trouble. At least not until over 200,000 miles. The lack of oil more or less just causes the tap. I have owned 3, 4.0L OHV with over 100,000 miles and had no trouble. How long are you planning to keep it?

As long as the body lasts and as long as my wife can stand looking at it and driving it occasionally, lol. I know she loves the 4wd on the winter roads here in Wisconsin, but that is the very thing that kills all of our cars here. Salt just eats things up. It has 144,000 miles on it now and has some rust forming on the driver's rear fender just under where the rear door covers the fender. I dont know what would all be involved replacing the engine with a 4.0 pushrod engine, but it sounds almost as bad as a diesel swap or V8 repower to me other than the transmission mounting? I would like to retain the stock trans and electronics if at all possible as I would not want to have to change the dash from stock. I guess whatever i have to do i have to do though. I am capable, but funds are limited, and i dont want to waste the money on parts that will have to be replaced later on down the road.

I guess to answer your question, i really like the way this explorer looks and i like the shape it is in and i would like to keep it a long time.

Tell me more about what would be involved about the swap to an older 4.0 pushrod engine. Do they all have fuel return lines? Would I have to use the older intake as well? How about electronics? Do you know anyone who has done a similar swap? I may have had a change of heart.

Again, it's not worth the aggravation. They're two very different motors. Electrics are totally different.

If I keep this thing a long time, it might just be worth the reliability and piece of mind. Electronics do not scare me at all. The donor vehicle would be a late 99 or 00 with around 100 thousand miles on it and it would be half the cost of a sohc engine.

The upper engine oiling issue could potentially be solved with the use of full synthetic oil and a pre-oiler like what streetrod uses in his sohc explorer if I did go that route.

best bet cost wise would be to find a newer (05ish) mustang 4.0 sohc. they have all the updates and are extremly reliable. they can be found fairly cheap in some areas too

I have looked and an '05 mustang 4.0 is VERY hard to find. What 'updates' do these engines really have? Did they finally do away with the plastic parts in the engine and the timing chain on the back of the engine? What would the advantage of an '05 really be in the event that I did find one?

Back