Dash / Instrument Lights Out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dash / Instrument Lights Out

mdc017

Reaction score
Here's the problem:

-Parking lights have been out for a while. Brushed it off as nothing too big and was going to get around to it

-Now after a month or two my instrument cluster lights, A/C control lights, and tail lights go out.

While driving the night they went out, the lights were off while the headlights were on and then they never came back on again.

I've checked all the fuses labeled as instrument cluster in the passenger fuse box and by reading around replaced fuse number 11 in the large fuse box under the hood.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the problem:
-Parking lights have been out for a while. Brushed it off as nothing too big and was going to get around to it
-Now after a month or two my instrument cluster lights, A/C control lights, and tail lights go out.
While driving the night they went out, the lights were off while the headlights were on and then they never came back on again.
I've checked all the fuses labeled as instrument cluster in the passenger fuse box and by reading around replaced fuse number 11 in the large fuse box under the hood.
Is there something I'm missing here?

The headlight switch itself may be the culprit; have seen that several times on this forum. Is it hot to the touch? Does it feel right when you turn it?

Headlight switch or interior light switch?

Headlight switch came out of the clips or whatever holds it in place a while back. It moves slightly when turning it but feels fine other than that.

The interior light wheel also feels fine. I can't seem to find these online by the way. I search for dimmer switch but get results for the turn signal lever.

Headlight switch or interior light switch?

Headlight switch came out of the clips or whatever holds it in place a while back. It moves slightly when turning it but feels fine other than that.

The interior light wheel also feels fine. I can't seem to find these online by the way. I search for dimmer switch but get results for the turn signal lever.

Headlight switch is usually the issue. It's held in by screws into the back of the IP trim panel. Only source I know of is dealer or JY (thought you might try rockauto.com); I have pulled several from JYs.

Went to my local pull a part and got a headlight switch, dimmer wheel, new center vent, and mirror glass. Most of that's unrelated but I had a good pull.

I installed the headlight switch and everything is working now. Thanks for your help bobflood.

I have been trying to fix my problem using this forum- exactly the same as above. Mine is a 1997 Explorer XLT 5.0 litre. I have purchased a NEW headlight switch and it did not fix the problem. I have no tail lights, turn signals, or instrument lights. I also replaced the unbroken fuse #11 in the power box. I have no other fuses out in any slot. The brake lights do work. Any ideas?

Back