Dead mounty= my new project | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dead mounty= my new project

This:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=M6007CJ

M6007CJ.jpg

I almost passed out when I saw the price. $18,224.95

you are a funny man :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice looking engine

The horsepower between the 5.0l OHV and 4.0l SOHC are very close. I do agree that the 4.0l should have been updated, but at the same time to call it underpowered is an exaggeration.

Well the 5.0L has a fair amount more torque. More torque=more acceleration.
250 torque to 288. Close, but the 5.0 still comes out on top. To compare it to the more modern 4.6L SOHC, the 4.6 blows away the 4.0L's competition.

very true

Well the 5.0L has a fair amount more torque. More torque=more acceleration.
250 torque to 288. Close, but the 5.0 still comes out on top. To compare it to the more modern 4.6L SOHC, the 4.6 blows away the 4.0L's competition.
If anything this speaks to the strength of the 4.0, not its weaknesses.

It comes very close to its counterpart, a big V8. I think Ford did well with the Cologne engine.

I very much like my 4.0l engine and I think you're being unfair. There have been some very impressive 4.0 builds including some on this forum. Of course modified V8s will kill the competition but so what? Stock 4.0l vs. stock 5.0l is a very close match and I think the little V6 stacks up quite well against the legendary 302.

the 4.0 is a ok motor for what it was intended for (running errands and creeping around town). I however, needed more out of it than what it could produce. Hence why it is almost in 2 peices.

Tomorrow we are going to start the removal process and post lots of good pics of the carnage I have under the hood.

If anything this speaks to the strength of the 4.0, not its weaknesses.

It comes very close to its counterpart, a big V8. I think Ford did well with the Cologne engine.

I very much like my 4.0l engine and I think you're being unfair. There have been some very impressive 4.0 builds including some on this forum. Of course modified V8s will kill the competition but so what? Stock 4.0l vs. stock 5.0l is a very close match and I think the little V6 stacks up quite well against the legendary 302.

Well..like said its alright for running errands, and town driving, but In my opinion off the road sometimes that extra power is needed.

Outdated things on this engine:

The timing chains on this SOHC....three...why?!
Not a high power engine for its displacement
Its as large as a 5.0 (not in displacement, but engine dimensions)
It may still be a cast iron block (I don't know...someone correct me)
It has a SOHC (change it to a DOHC)

I like the engine because its a sturdy engine and has been around for a long time...keep whats good.
And it seems to be reliable.
I dislike that the 4.6L is less of a gas hog than my 4.0L. It should be the opposite way around.
It stacks up well to the Windsor 302, but how about the modular block 302?

Unfair...I don't dislike the engine, because I knowingly bought an 05 explorer with the V6, if I really wanted that V8 SO BADLY, I would have said f this V6 explorer I'm going to go for a V8.

And the cologne v6...what kind of a future does it have...three ford cars using it...the 2010 explorer/explorer sport trac and the 2010 ranger. They are all going to be re-designed and one phased out, the ST unfortunately :(

Ford had many chances to update the 4.0, but...they didnt so;

--Ford's 4.0L SOHC
210 hp
--Nissans 4.0L DOHC
260 hp
--Toyota's 4.0L DOHC
239 hp
Toyota's isnt too high, but...

At least ford can brag their V6 is more powerful than the old wrangler's 4.0L I6, good engine also btw.

EVLSPL:
You know what engine your going with?

Outdated things on this engine:

The timing chains on this SOHC....three...why?! ...

It has a SOHC (change it to a DOHC)
I are [baboon] the sorry but do you know how the valve train works - cauz how do you expect to drive the overhead camshaft (single or dual) without multiple chains or belts? And do you really want to pay the extra price (and repair costs) for a DOHC valve train?

It could be run down to two. And yes I would pay the price for a DOHC. 'Cause a DOHC is way more powerful than an SOHC. Why is the new 5.0 a DOHC? And 3.7 mustang?

You didn't answer the out-dated question...three..why? There's two camshafts, that IMO calls for two chains. And a good chain tensioner too.

I'd love to do a total rebuild on a 5.0l and stroke it to 335 ci.- a good, dependable engine that won't have the innate issues the 347 has. EFI would be a must, of course.

where have you been the last few years? A 347 is just a solid as a 331.

You didn't answer the out-dated question...three..why
Because, on a V engine, the cylinders are staggered in order to connect to the crankshaft. This leaves the passenger's side bank more forward than the driver's side bank - which leaves room for the camshaft gear on the back of the driver's side bank of cylinders. And you should be able to figure out why the third one is needed.

Does that answer your question?

More or less. It'd be easier to do this:

mmfp_060400_27z+High_Performance_Crate_Engine_Buyers_Guide+DSS_Inc_4_6_SOHC_mill_view.jpg

If they had to use a jackshaft in place of the push-rods camshaft could they have crammed another chain up there?
It all comes back to the picture above....better design, so you don't have to pull the engine out of the truck to get to a chain. Smaller engine too :thumbsup: Can't deny the 4.0 SOHC is as big as a 5.0

Okay well you design that and make sure it fits in the Explorer's engine bay. And I guess while you're at it, take an engineering course to learn "TANSTAAFL" and how things are engineered within a context.

eh...just go with the 4.0 until it dies...then go on to a 4.6L SOHC!!!! :D
Ford should have updated the design years ago. This cologne six is acient compared to newer engines. Taking a 4.0 pushrod sized engine (or similar) and fitting it to a SOHC sized bay...oh its going to fit...easily.

Smaller engine too :thumbsup: Can't deny the 4.0 SOHC is as big as a 5.0
If you are comparing the 4.6 to the 4.0 or old 5.0 dimensionally, then you are wrong. Because the 4.6 is a much "larger" engine (see this). And do you even understand why the 4.6 is 90 degrees?

I'm not trying to attack you but you seem to talk a lot but you don't really seem understand the things that you are talking about.

find your self a rolled or totalled 04 navigator and pull the harness and engine out =] 5.4 dohc!

If you are comparing the 4.6 to the 4.0 or old 5.0 dimensionally, then you are wrong. Because the 4.6 is a much "larger" engine (see this). And do you even understand why the 4.6 is 90 degrees?

I'm not trying to attack you but you seem to talk a lot but you don't really seem understand the things that you are talking about.

The 5.0 OHV to the 4.0 SOHC. Not talking stroke, bore, etc. Talking dimensions of the engine. As soon as I find the info I will post it.

Leave the 4.6 modular out of this...lol :D

Eh...I think the 4.0's going to have to leave my X some day within the next 4-10 years...

find your self a rolled or totalled 04 navigator and pull the harness and engine out =] 5.4 dohc!
Ha ha, I love the idea of a 5.4 :thumbsup:

I honestly am starting think this 4.0 SOHC is a piece of crap. My 05 seems to have a fair number of problems, due to either last owner neglected it, or the build quality.

the 5.4 is a good power house you can convert it to carb and get about 500 roided ponies out of it stock with just a 4bbl set up! thats what im working on for my fox =] but for off road fuel injection is better though!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

EVLSPL:
You know what engine your going with?

It is definitely going to be a 5.4, which version 5.4 is still in the air. Price and condition is going to be the 2 main factors in that decision. I am going to try my hardest to find a lightning or SC Harley that got rear ended or t-boned.
The next dilemma is which trans to put in. Auto or Manual? Whichever route it is going to remain 2WD.

Back