Dead ranger, free tranny

jad2411

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Brown eb
:thumbdwn: So FIL's 02 ranger is dead, got in an accident, bent frame and engine was already on it's way out, other driver didn't have insurance, so she just gave him some $ and he's gonna scrap the truck.
Tranny is working as it should, free for me if I want it, question is, can I use it on a 97 explorer sport?

02 ranger 4x4 with flex fuel auto tranny
97 explorer 4x4 auto tranny 4.0 SOHC

After searching for a while it seems that it's the same, but don't have enought time to search right now and need to confirm before he takes it to the scrap yard

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to say there is some difference in the sensors or something, because the 97 uses different style speed sensor maybe? Not 100% sure.

Ok just talked to dad, explorer has an engine from either a 99 or a 00 explorer, he said he had to swap some sonsors and fuel delivery system components, not sure if that makes a difference

it wont work. you need a 97 and only a 97 trans in yours. there is a extra sensor in the case that are not in the 98 and up. you can use a 97 trans in anything 97 and up, but not the other way around

hmmm do I need that sensor? :p:

tim, i have a 99 ranger trans in my 97 explorer, plugged in and works like new. Im not sure what year the ranger went away from the 5r55e though

tim, i have a 99 ranger trans in my 97 explorer, plugged in and works like new. Im not sure what year the ranger went away from the 5r55e though

was there a sensor in the case?

this is what i was taking about.

96 trans

97 trans

98 trans

if you look at the pic of the 97 trans, i circled the sensor i was taking about. the 98 trans (this was evils factory trans before i did the v8 swap) does not have it. what it does, i honestly do not know. but if it was me, i dont think i would want to put the trans in, button it up, then find out it wont work because of one sensor isnt there.

Thanks Tim, I guess I need to find out if I need it or not

tim, mine did not have the front sensor from the factory, just the rear sensor, which is on every 5R55E IIRC

tim, mine did not have the front sensor from the factory, just the rear sensor, which is on every 5R55E IIRC

then you got a odd ball

Dad will take both to a shop and have them check to see if it's doable/worth it

Isn't there a TSB for deletion of that sensor? The one where you clip the connector off then solder the wires then shrinkwrap?

Subscribing in case i find myself needing a tranny replacement at some point...

I email useful stuff to another email addy. that way I don't spend hours looking for good info like the link above.

Dad's sis got sick so no updates yet

That is a great idea Jack, just the other day i wished i had done the same, trying to find a link to a gear calculator that would tell me the equivelent stock ratio to my current tire/gear combo so i can pick the right speedo gear

Back