Dealer "repaired" my catalytic converters? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer "repaired" my catalytic converters?

WTF IS GOING ON HERE?! YOU CAN REPLACE YOUR ENTIRE EXHAUST SYSTEM YOURSELF FOR UNDER $1000 !!! CATs for under $500!

Entire 3 CAT assembly $341.79
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3088479
079-4165.jpg

Entire CARB compliant 3 CAT assembly for California and New York $472.79
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6088248
651548.jpg

Techguru, Imp, et al: Does anyone know whether that two-peice Y setup from RockAuto (top pic) allows you to install an new Y pipe w/cats w/o removing the transmission support crossmember? Does it make a difference between 4x and 2x drive 4-door models? TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Techguru, Imp, et al: Does anyone know whether that two-peice Y setup from RockAuto (top pic) allows you to install an new Y pipe w/cats w/o removing the transmission support crossmember? Does it make a difference between 4x and 2x drive 4-door models? TIA.
I took mine to an exhaust shop, and they were able to leave everything in. They did have to replace the manifold studs though. Something with the RockAuto flange bottoming out on the factory stud before the gasket was sealed.

@Drewmcg
Without looking at your pic, (out of time right now), I can say on my '04 the pipe lying above the crossmember indeed looks as though it can be slid in (or out), from it's attachment to the big muffler back there, either as the Wye assembly in entirety, or split, as some of the systems offered for sale are, having a joint at the crossover pipe. Split would be easier.

Easy for me to say, but I have shunned attacking that bi!ch so far! imp

@Drewmcg
Without looking at your pic, (out of time right now), I can say on my '04 the pipe lying above the crossmember indeed looks as though it can be slid in (or out), from it's attachment to the big muffler back there, either as the Wye assembly in entirety, or split, as some of the systems offered for sale are, having a joint at the crossover pipe. Split would be easier.

@Drewmcg

thanks, imp. In retrospect, I wish I'd ordered a complete wye rather than replacing each cat ad hoc (hindsight=20/20). But having to drop the transmission support would be the deal-breaker for me. If able to do over, and if I didn't already have the transmission removed, I'd probably order the two-piece (split) wye from Rockauto (Davico Mfrg.), figuring it would be a lot easier to wrestle each half up there and then bolt them together. Ordering the complete wye (e.g., Walker) and then discovering I needed to drop that trans brace would be a super bummer!

Back