• Register Today It's free!

death rattle etc

choppa

Reaction score
City, State
Carlisle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 the north face
Hi i think i have the dreaded death rattle, sometimes a bit noisy on startup but after 30 seconds or so nice n quiet. If it is the start of death what options is there??

She is a 2000 north face

A. take engine out and rebuild, she has a very recent LPG conversion and has 135000 miles on clock.

B. have second hand engine put in.

C, If poss get exchange recon engine.

D. ??????????????

Dunno what is the cheapest or best option, i have some mechanical experience but can i take engine out myself, not sure.
If any one can advise, tell me what they did would be a big help also advise on the dreaded cost :(

Also, my interior lamp comes on when i go over bumps and go off again and rear door lamp stays on all the time, had to take bulb out any ideas lads???

Thanks Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi sorry to hear you have that problem, have you determind where the rattle is comming from? (bottom ends or chains),one of your interior light bulb might have a shorted out connection or the pin switch on the doors are sticking.

Not sure where rattle coming from sounds so sweet after short while.
Have replaced roof console and as for pin button, lights come on but dashboard door open light stays off, but comes on when doors open so i know that door switches are ok, thought it could poss be the general electric module, before i bought it previous owner removed the hi fi due to it being broken so wonder if he has pulled a wire or something. Oh well.

Thanks for reply.
Steve.

sounds like u need new timing chain tensioners m8....

Cheers rich,what sort of cost am i looking at for it, is it a hard job??
Can it be done by a home mechanic??
Also engine warning light has come on, think it is cos of the lpg conversion, how do i find out what the code is??

Also.. what is that long display looking thing right underneath the speedo in the instrument cluster????

Cheers ppl. :salute:

The OOM12 kit will sort out leaking inlet gaskets and a revised front tensioner. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=487634&postcount=33 . You can get a new rear tensioner and just screw it in.

As for the warning light you will need a code reader for the ODBII to tell you what the code is, probably a weak mixture, see above for a solution.

The long display at the bottom of the instrument cluster is where the gear display is on the USA models with column change. In the UK it is just left blank.

death rattle...

Cheers Howard, will check it out, does that kit just do one side of the front of the engine, i guess i need to of them for both front tensioners? any ideas why interior lamps might be stayin on??? i know its not the door switch, cos lil door open light on dash isnt on.
Oh well i'll add it to my list of fixes.

Cheers. steve

The interior light might be that you have moved the dimmer up fully. You can feel it click. Just before the click is where you want it. To turn them off move down till click.

Dimmer???? What dimmer, the only one i know of is for the instrument illumination, is it that one or some other gizmo i havent found. :D

Cheers Howard. I'll check it out!! :salute:

yippee!!:D All interior lights fixed, would never of thought of that.

Cheers Howard, wish it was that simple to fix timing chain tensioner :p:

Steve.:salute:

Back