• Register Today It's free!

Death Rattle?????

black4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I have read alot about the timing chain tensioner problem. Is there a way to tell if the recall has been done, and does this problem happen to every sohc or just some? I just bought a 2000 sohc with 74,000 miles and it currently has no rattle. I just don't want to have to worry about it down the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Per say, it will happen to all SOHC engines.

The dealer might be able to pull up info on your vehicle and tell whether or not the recall was performed.

Find the origianl dealer where it was purchased,

chances are the original owner used that dealer for the recall, and they might still have a record of it.

Was this just a Ford US recall or woldwide?

so once the recall has been performed they are good for a long time right????

Try to verify if anything was done. If you cannot, you should assume that it still original, and do the work ASAP.

The parts to be concerned about most are the two cam chain tensioners, and the front cam cassette. The rear cassette is evidently just like the front, but it rarely falls apart early like the front unit. The rear parts require removing the engine, or transmission. I replaced all except that rear cassette on mine. I also did my jackshaft chain(and tensioner), and the 4x4 balance shaft tensioner.
The parts are cheap, the labor is high, the required timing tool kit is about $150.

For any year of the SOHC 4.0 V6, those parts should be assumed to only last some mileage like 75-100k, like timing belts. Good luck,

I've been searching, and I can't find anything on a timing chain tensioner recall. Does anyone have any of the NHTSA info on it?

The recall(s) were for five year old models, and under 75K. Unless you have a 2001 model made after October of 2001, the recalls are over. Good luck,

Sorry for being dim, but does that mean a 2000 Explorer will have this problem but out of the recall perameters, ie wont be done by Ford?

It is my understanding

that it is very highly unlikely that Ford will assist anyone with a free recall repair for this issue now. I was told by Ford, that my 1999 recall coverage expired 2 years ago.

However I was able to determine through the original dealer that sold the truck,that the work was done in 2000, so I got lucky.

Doh' I have a 2001 explorer sport that was made in feburary of 01. :-(

Sorry if my comment sounded odd or hurtful. Truthfully Ford should have made a recall that would last much more than five years. Many people don't drive that much in five years. This valvetrain issue is something that should have been expected, the maintenance schedule should include those parts, like timing belts or timing chains.

A very good Ford customer might still be able to get their friend dealer to do something. Regards,

A while ago on Ford's web site you could put in your VIN and see if there were any outstanding recalls on the vehicle. It may still be there. Go to their website and do some surfing. I will look around and see if I can find it again and post it here.

Jeff

Here it is. I dont have my VIN handy to see if it works but here is the site:

http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/owners/recalls/default.htm#ford

Back