Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

Guarantee you the 2.7 would get same if not better mileage then the 2.3 "in real world driving" yet would be way more effortless and faster. The 2.3 and 2.0 can "get" the mileage rating under their strict epa testing which nobody drives like in 100% optimal conditions, however its easy to still meet epa ratings in other vehicles. Small turbo engines in a heavy vehicle like this will constantly be in boost in normal driving and will suck down fuel.

I agree it is a bs marketing move by Ford. Lets make people pay more for an engine thats slower, and gets worse/same mileage as the V6. I've gotten all my pickups and suvs from the same Ford dealer for over 10 years. When I bought my wife the Fusion with 2.0t, and new of the issues in the Explorer, jokingly asked the guy what he thought and he said they've had a lot of irate customers come back complaining of poor fuel mileage for the small engine "efficient" suv they thought they bought. This was back when I bought the Fusion but he said he just had a customer who owned an 11' V6 and bought the 2.0 Ex for his wife, and couldn't understand why the 2.0 could do no better then the V6 on gas and sometimes worse, they didn't really have an answer for him lol.... what are you supposed to say, Ford screwed the pooch lol?!?

I don't have the Sport anymore, wasn't even looking for one but friend leased a 13' and got into some financial trouble so I took over payments to help and to have something else to drive. Had gone up to the lakehouse with some friends, one that has a 2.0 Ex. Had 4 people in mine, and he had 3, this is sea level flat road South FL. I avg 22.6 mpg, he avg 23.1 , so a half mpg better and way off ratings and way underpowered feeling :thumbdwn: . Return trip back was about the same. Heck the ol' 5.0 I still have can pull down 20-21 highway on that same trip (rwd).

One thing I wish they'd fix is the fuel tank size, its so tiny for an suv this big, hell the Jeep GC is about 25g. I felt like I was constantly filling up the Sport b/c the tank was so small lol. Even the smaller Edge has like an 1-2 gallon larger tank.

Totally agree with you on everything here, both 2 and 2.3 EB are definitely not enough for such a big SUV.
Tank size is small for sure, I keep fingers crossed for the next generation having bigger tank size.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Totally agree with you on everything here, both 2 and 2.3 EB are definitely not enough for such a big SUV.
Tank size is small for sure, I keep fingers crossed for the next generation having bigger tank size.
I have to laugh with whats a fairly large and especially wide vehicle, that all they could fit is about the smallest fuel tank ever put in an suv lol. Maybe next gen will have a larger tank lol. 15' Edge with the 2.7t caught my eye, especially tuned, it should be pretty damn quick weighing a lot less then the Ex. But I can't fathom spending that much money when it's not getting the new Sync system this year when all other vehicles are.

Personally I wish they'd stick the 2.7t in the Fusion, maybe with stick and awd :D, and call it the Sho. It would mop the floor with the fat pig bloated Taurus Sho. I would trade wifes Fusion in a second for that.

........ But I can't fathom spending that much money when it's not getting the new Sync system this year when all other vehicles are.
Not ALL others are getting Sync 3 this year. The following was posted before in the Sync 3 thread;

2016: Ford C-Max, Edge, Escape, Expedition, Fiesta, Flex, Mustang, Transit; Lincoln MKC, MKS, MKT, Navigator
2017: Ford Explorer, Fusion, Transit Connect; Lincoln MKX, MKZ
Unclear: Ford F series, Focus, Taurus

It was just announced that the F series will be getting it this year.

Peter

Are you sure about that? I still see the medium Ceramic for the Platinum for Seating Surfaces. Not sure where you see the black leather seats...

See page 1, bottom right under "Latest Order Guide Updates", and also page 16 details color choices.

See page 1, bottom right under "Latest Order Guide Updates", and also page 16 details color choices.

Ahh there we go. This is GREAT news! I much prefer the black. Thanks for sharing!

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until January then! :mad:

I knew it, the minute I change my mind and order an Expedition.

front wheel drive platforms (like the explorer) will be doing will to fit 8sp gear box under there.

and in fact that should be plenty. look at the new GM products.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/americas-most-wanted-7-vehicles-dealers-cant-keep-on-the-lot.html/6/

"Whether you go by demand or gains this summer, the 2016 Ford Explorer ($30,700) could be called the hottest vehicle in America. A new model will only last nine days on a dealer’s lot, and Ford moved 22,549 models in June alone, a 30% increase over last year. By year’s end, the crew from Dearborn will probably move a quarter-million of its full-size SUV. For now, supply limitations would seem to be the only drawback."

(OP)...looks like parts shortages will be a sure thing...

I was at my dealer (Surprise Ford, Surprise, AZ) the other day and they have several 15's and 16's and while I didn't get in any of them (thankfully wasn't on the lot during service as I expected) but some "side by side" photos.

SHARKFIN ANTENNA
20150711_072305_zpsgpb8r03z.jpg

TAILGATE / REAL LAMP CHANGES
20150711_072259_zpstwympneh.jpg

15/16 FRONT ENDS
20150711_072236_zpsywiic2jf.jpg

BASE W/OUT FOGS GIANT BLACK FILLERS
20150711_072231_zpsojewzdzq.jpg

20150711_072216_zpsrvikzzdc.jpg

there's more room between the seats in teh 2016.

I think I wrote about it in my intro thread - reason I bought a 2016 had to so with fitting a rear facing child seat in the second row.

in the 2015,neither my wife or I could fit the seat behind us while in driving position. and it would only fit in the Pax side with my wife over there (she's 5'5"). IE child seat was touching - pressed into - the seat back. regardless of second row bench or bucket.

however in the 2016 we can fit on in either bucket seat if she is driving - and it will fit fine in the pax seat with me driving - and the wifey in the PAX front seat. not sure how much room but it makes quite a difference. Otherwise, I was 2 steps away from buying a Buick Enclave.

I do like (about the only think on the rear end changes) is the smoother area under the lic plate removed the flat dirt/road grime catcher.

I do like (about the only think on the rear end changes) is the smoother area under the lic plate removed the flat dirt/road grime catcher.

+2. Also have the bumper protector but it doesn't cover the edge.

+2. Also have the bumper protector but it doesn't cover the edge.

The bumper protector is a $60 dollar option. I agree that it should wrap over the edge to really do much good. I had one same design on my 07 MKX and bumped it right at the edge and scratched it. You would think by now, they could have improved it.

The bumper protector is a $60 dollar option. I agree that it should wrap over the edge to really do much good. I had one same design on my 07 MKX and bumped it right at the edge and scratched it. You would think by now, they could have improved it.

I agree totally with you but for a $60.00 option i prefer it to be a factory piece and installation.

The rear glass wiper should be hidden in the upper rear spoiler like GM did on the new Tahoe/Yukon. Much cleaner and it doesn't hold dirt/sand. For when the driver who doesnt understand turning on the wiper without rain is like running sandpaper across the glass.

The rear glass wiper should be hidden in the upper rear spoiler like GM did on the new Tahoe/Yukon. Much cleaner and it doesn't hold dirt/sand. For when the driver who doesnt understand turning on the wiper without rain is like running sandpaper across the glass.
It also makes it easier for the wiper to make that first sweep when you don't bother cleaning the snow off the window first.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, that would have been nice, but would have been a much larger redesign.

Back