Deciding between 13,15 and 16(?) Limited | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deciding between 13,15 and 16(?) Limited

IKR, it sits on my drive and I'm staring at it and thinking now what.

Will make a nice photo for profile pic when it's finally actual spring, not this fake one with snow and all
You require an Elite membership in order to have a profile (avatar) picture in the margin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you went with the '16. newish member here, joined to warn you off the '13. I've had nothing but bad times with mine for the year and 4 months I've had it. The '13s have the most TSBs I've learned the hard way. Def like the way the 2016s look meaner. Hope you have better luck.

Glad you went with the '16. newish member here, joined to warn you off the '13. I've had nothing but bad times with mine for the year and 4 months I've had it. The '13s have the most TSBs I've learned the hard way. Def like the way the 2016s look meaner. Hope you have better luck.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Always nice to have new members.

Peter

Hi Forum,

potential new member here. Am looking to buy 2013 Limited vs 2015 Limited
  1. 2013 Limited @ 28k miles, no accidents, 1 owner, 301a with tow III pack + moon roof
  2. 2015 Limited @ 31k miles, no accidents, 1 owner, 301a +moon roof
Don't really care for towing, but it is nice to have and it is the only difference in equipment. The 2013 is ~ $1,750 less.
Please share your advice, what else is different between 13 and 15? What would you go with?

secret option 3. 2014 Sport @ 49k miles, no accidents, 401a, moon roof, ~ $250 more expensive than '15 Limited. Also, the dealer is 3hours away from me :(

Actually I wouldn't touch an explorer. Ford doesn't honor the corrosion warranty. Look at the 2013 all around the lip of the hood, I bet the paint is bubbling like mine.

Actually I wouldn't touch an explorer. Ford doesn't honor the corrosion warranty. Look at the 2013 all around the lip of the hood, I bet the paint is bubbling like mine.
The bubbling issue is covered under the 3year/36k mile factory warranty and several members have had the work done under warranty. I have addressed that in a reply to your other post.
Like other issues you may encounter after the warranty expires, Ford is under no obligation to cover them. The hood issue is something I feel should be addressed but unfortunately that is not my call.

Peter

The bubbling issue is covered under the 3year/36k mile factory warranty and several members have had the work done under warranty. I have addressed that in a reply to your other post.
Like other issues you may encounter after the warranty expires, Ford is under no obligation to cover them. The hood issue is something I feel should be addressed but unfortunately that is not my call.

Peter
Actually the bubbling issue "should" be covered under the 5 year unlimited mileage corrosion warranty. My 2014 Explorer has been garaged since the day I bought it new (window sticker $50,000). I don't understand why Ford can't resolve this issue. I also have 1966 Ford Mustang GT Fastback and it never had rust or corrosion on the hood. It had rust issues on the corner of the doors, fenders, rocker panel but never the hood. My 2014 Explorer has 16 different spots, all on the edge of the hood. I'm in California so really this car sees little rain or cold. Here are a few pics just to get an idea of what it looks like. How can this not be a manufacturing defect? There is not 1 other corrosion mark on the rest of the car, yet I have 16 on the hood, after 4 1/2 years? If this is Ford's idea of quality and standing behind there product then I'm done with them.

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4945.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

With this issue I don't think it matters whether the vehicle is garaged or not or even driven. The problem is from the inside out, unlike rust which is usually from the outside in due to a breakdown or damage to the barrier covering the metal. Unfortunately there was no 5 year unlimited mileage warranty for pre 2016 Explorers.:(

Peter

Peter
Actually the bubbling issue "should" be covered under the 5 year unlimited mileage corrosion warranty. My 2014 Explorer has been garaged since the day I bought it new (window sticker $50,000). I don't understand why Ford can't resolve this issue. I also have 1966 Ford Mustang GT Fastback and it never had rust or corrosion on the hood. It had rust issues on the corner of the doors, fenders, rocker panel but never the hood. My 2014 Explorer has 16 different spots, all on the edge of the hood. I'm in California so really this car sees little rain or cold. Here are a few pics just to get an idea of what it looks like. How can this not be a manufacturing defect? There is not 1 other corrosion mark on the rest of the car, yet I have 16 on the hood, after 4 1/2 years? If this is Ford's idea of quality and standing behind there product then I'm done with them.
With this issue I don't think it matters whether the vehicle is garaged or not or even driven. The problem is from the inside out, unlike rust which is usually from the outside in due to a breakdown or damage to the barrier covering the metal. Unfortunately there was no 5 year unlimited mileage warranty for pre 2016 Explorers.:(

Peter
My 2014 Warranty Guide says 5 years Unlimited miles.

20180503_092322.jpg

That is for "Perforation" (Outside in). The corrosion as stated is from the inside out. No perforation.

Back