Defective GEM? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Defective GEM?

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
95 explorer XLT manual transmission. Let me list everything that is wrong, and see who thinks they are all related and means the GEM module needs to be replaced. I can get a used one for not a bad price but am afraid of buying a GEM and not having it be the problem, Mainly the 4wd I am worried about getting working.

*Door chime goes off all the time when drivers door is open weather the key in ignition or not.

*Intteiror lights do not come on when doors are open. Interior light can be turn on manually

* TCS relay clicks about 6 times when ignition is turned on. After being off for an hour.

* On rare occasions, the 4wd/4wd low indicater lights come on (and stay on) with the headlights.

* 4wd/4wdlow lights blink 6 times every 2 minutes @ 4wd does not work. Lights start blinking almost immediately after ignition is turned on, even after the battery has been disconnected and before the truck has been started or moved. 4wd does work manually using Brown wire mod, (T-case and CAD work)

So if the GEM its self was bad would the 4wd lights blink like they are? Or would the hole system be brain dead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I vote GEM related. The GEM is what decides to flash the 4wd lights if it thinks there is a problem.

Too bad you don't have a known good GEM to try. Do you know anyone with a 95 that would let you swap to verify?

No, unfortunately I do not have access to one to try. Anyone here with a 2nd gen explorer live around Saratoga, NY? LOL

Just for info if you try to get one from the wrecking yard; I believe you need to find a 95 - 96 GEM, and not 97 - up. The reason is that you have a vacuum disconnect at the front axle on 95 -96, and the 97 - up do not.

Yes, thanks. I also believe it is a different part # depending on if the truck came with power windows or not. Which mine does not.

Anyone else have a vote as to the likelihood of the GEM being defective?

Back