GEM defective? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GEM defective?

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
95 explorer XLT manual transmission. Let me list everything that is wrong, and see who thinks they are all related and means the GEM module needs to be replaced.

*4wd/4wdlow lights blink 6 times every 2 minutes @ 4wd does not work. Lights start blinking almost immediately after ignition is turned on, even after the battery has been disconnected and before the truck has been started or moved. 4wd does work manually using Brown wire mod, (T-case and CAD work)

*Door chime goes off all the time when drivers door is open weather the key in ignition or not.

*Intteiror lights do not come on when doors are open. Interior light can be turn on manually

* TCS relay clicks about 6 times when ignition is turned on.After being off for an hour.

Possibility is pretty good. My '02 has the same problem on the flashing 4x4 lights. Door chime doesn't work, same problem with the interior lights. TCS is ok but the driver's seat moved & locked in the "easy out" position and the seat memory quit working. Saw my mechanic yesterday and he said the GEM is going out and he's trying to locate it cheap. He also said that a new unit needs to be programmed (dealership, doesn't have the tools) but not if it comes from the same model out of a junk yard. I'll keep you posted.

Back