Degree of tilt before WHOOPS?

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Hey, I have one of the clinometers that measure the pitch and roll. It probably isn't too accurate, but at least it is an idea. I was wondering what angle would be the max pitch and roll that I don't want to exeed for my X with a 3" body lift and 31x10.5 tires?

I will be getting more mods later too. What would be the max angles for 6" sus lift, 3" body lift, and 35x12.5 tires?

Thanks!!:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ask rick or jim:D

rick and jim

:roll:

i couldnt tell ya.... but when you start thinking oh crap and black out you know you have gone too far....

Dunno how accurate this is, but on my last trip, my Gatorade clinometer was at about 40 degrees ;) Dunno if that's exaggerated, sure sounds like it! hehehe.

When you start teetering and then go BAM, then its to far. The best way to find it out is to do it a few times to get the judgement down.... :D Although I have not yet rolled, I am sure I could've been close before. Just remember drive into it and you will pull out. :)

There can't be a standard for this. It all depends on how much gear you have with you and where it's stored. How much gas you have in the tank. How many people are riding with you. How much you weight. Which side you're leaning to. How much air is in your tires. How soft you springs are. You see, all those things and more will determine you center of gravity and how far over you can go until you fall.

Originally posted by zensius
There can't be a standard for this. It all depends on how much gear you have with you and where it's stored. How much gas you have in the tank. How many people are riding with you. How much you weight. Which side you're leaning to. How much air is in your tires. How soft you springs are. You see, all those things and more will determine you center of gravity and how far over you can go until you fall.

I agree... there is no set standard.... but if you are going to play, you are going to pay....or if you put yourself in off camber situations or are a crappy driver than you shouldnt expect to roll, but shouldnt rule out the possibility...... 4 wheeling, like FireFighting or any other Extreme sport, is not for the meek at heart.

I don't know the exacts, but I can guarantee that if you go 90, you have caused some damage and are not going forward anymore. And if the horizon color that was at the top is now at the bottom, you have successfully rolled your X. Some may disagree, but I'm pretty sure this information is accurate.
Robb

Jim, do you still have your explorer?

of course i still have my truck...... why would i not have it?

i was just wondering if the rollover totalled it..
your truck has been through a lot with that accident with the truck and the rollover.

i was thinkin the same thing leenjen

You just need to get used to wheeling your truck. After you have wheeled for a while, you will instincively know when you have gone "too far" and you should correct the situation immediately.

maxangle=arctan(B/A)

I've thought about this before; I think it would be a fun problem for a high school physics class.

First thing: as has been noted, real life is hard to pin down; too many variables. Mathematicians and physicist will usually develop a simplified model that will allow them to make reasonable estimates that they can apply to real life. That's what I'll try to do.

First, we need to make some assumptions that simplify the problem.
1) no motion.. the truck is stationary, no rocking, rolling, bouncing, etc.
2) no suspension.. no springs, the tires are made of wood/steel.
3) for now, let's just consider a two dimensional problem. i.e. rolling over sideways. our conclusions will still apply in three dimensions, but the analysis is more complex.

then we decide what will determine when the truck rolls over. my analysis suggests that the truck rolls over when the line from the center of mass to the center of the earth (i.e. down) falls outside of the rectangle defined by the wheels.

We know where the wheels are. We know where "down" is. So the hardest part of this problem is, as has been indicated above, pinpointing the center of mass of the vehicle. First, let's note that it IS difficult to know precisely where the center of mass is. but I think we can make a reasonable estimation.

The center of mass should be very near the right/left center line of the vehicle. Otherwise, the vehicle becomes less stable. It also seems reasonable because the vehicle is nearly symmetrical side to side.

The location of the CoM from top to bottom is perhaps the most difficult. I estimated mine to be roughly about the height of the outside door handle. I don't think it would really be higher because the vast majority of the 2-2.5 tons of the vehicle rides between the frame and the hood (unless you're carrying several hundred lbs on the roof).
We can ignore the location of the CoM front to back because we are only dealing with two dimensions. This would become important when expanding the problem to 3D.

From this we can take two measurements. 1) CoM to the ground. In my case I got 39 inches from the ground to the door handle. 2) the distance from the centerline of the vehicle to the outside of the tires (I got 33 in.). We can draw a right triangle and determine the angle of the sidehill relative to horizontal by taking the arctangent of the (2) divided by (1) (i.e. angle=arctan(33/39). For my truck that yields about 40 degrees.

Back to our assumptions. A flexible suspension and rubber tires will decrease the maximum angle that the truck can sit on. As noted above, the downhill side will compress and the uphill side will relax causing the truck to sit at a steeper angle than the trail surface. Any motion the truck undertakes will also increase the likelihood of rolling. Imagine moving at 10 mph and having the upper tires hitting a rock. This could, of course, throw the truck over. We've also had to assume a stable load. If your load suddenly shifts to the downhill side, that could also throw you over. From this you'd need to build in a comfortable safety factor to prevent rolling. The amount of "cushion" you leave yourself is probably best determined from experience, as others have noted. Just be sure to remember that this is an idealized way of predicting when the truck will tip over and will tip over sooner in real life.

there have been sometimes where I swear I'm about to roll but really I have a long way to go before I would approach that... there have been times however where I've gotten on two wheels before... thats how yhou know you've gone to far and if its safe to do so you crank the wheel sopposite teh direction your dgoing and you floor it in less then about a half second :).

And I always asked myself, "when am I ever going to use physics?"

Who knew!!:D

Back