Dented Hood, opinions wanted on repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dented Hood, opinions wanted on repair

Hey gang,

So my truck finally got its first dent after 120k miles and 7 years. A large chunk of ice fell off the room of my apartment and must have landed right on my hood, after a 3 story fall off a steep slate roof. :fire:

Here's the damage:

134222005-01-22_Dented_Hood.jpg

134222005-01-22_Dented_Hood2.jpg

It's not that bad in the grand scheme of things, and I feel like I should be able to repair it when I get some free time.

I've read Monmix's "body work 101" thread. Anything else people want to add? What about painting?

I'm lucky in that I can just remove the hood from the truck, and only work on that.

-Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new hood, not much you can do with hoods dent wise

Yup...Salvage yard will fix you right up.

Yikes that is rather ugly.
Not to argue boomin' but hoods are very fixable.
The first photo makes it look too far gone but the second one not so much.
Removing the hood may not be the tip you are after.
Sanding it gets to be a pain trying to keep things steady

this is the dent in my hood I fixed last year.

Attachments

• hooddent.jpg
    hooddent.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 270

I would say get another hood and get it painted to match, seems like it would be alot easier.

MONMIX said:
Yikes that is rather ugly.
Not to argue boomin' but hoods are very fixable.
The first photo makes it look too far gone but the second one not so much.
Removing the hood may not be the tip you are after.
Sanding it gets to be a pain trying to keep things steady

Oh I know but the time it would take to fix its deff worth geting one at the yard

If I can get a better lit picture I can tell you what to expect for repair time.

Thanks for the input guys - keep it coming :)

I'm not afriad of a little banging out and bondo, it's not show n' shine streeter, I would like to try my hand at fixing it before I get a new hood, but luckily that's an option in this case.

I'll definitley get better pics. It's tough to tell as those were taken with a 1mp camera that didn't even have a flash.

-Aaron

You also have a choice of "upgrading" your hood now. Instead of repairing it, you could simply replace it with one from Explorer Express. They sell those cowl induction hoods at a very reasonable price. Good luck on which ever direction you choose.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
You also have a choice of "upgrading" your hood now. Instead of repairing it, you could simply replace it with one from Explorer Express. They sell those cowl induction hoods at a very reasonable price. Good luck on which ever direction you choose.

THAT is the best idea I heard so far !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually.... the dent is right over the air intake.... I could rice it out with a hood scoop!

do you have renters insurance? if not i'm sure the apartment has insurance. I'd put a claim in.

Back