Opinions wanted on Rancho Shocks: RSX vs RS9000x | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions wanted on Rancho Shocks: RSX vs RS9000x

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
I want to purchase some Rancho Shocks for my 97 AWD mountaineer - It's strock height right now but will soon get a 1.5" TT/Shackle Lift.

1) From searching, i hear it is best to stay with the original shock length. Correct?

2) What rancho #s should I buy for the front/rear

3) Is it worth spending the extra hundred dollars upgrading the front shocks to adjustible 9000s, or should I just do RSXs all around?

4) If you have Rancho 9000s - how often do you adjust them?

Thanks,
Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is worth every penny.
There is a HUGE difference between setting 9 and 1

I keep them on 5.

9 is too stiff even for towing
1 is awesome off road

I adjust them anytime I go fromt daily driving, to off road, or from daily driving to towing.

It is so easy it takes like 2 minutes total, takes longer to disco the sway bars.......

The shocks made a HUGE improvement in the handling/ride of my truck

I would definatley consider the extra $$$ for the adjustable, it allows you to "dial" in your ride and it makes all the difference in the world............if you use it right........

I have 9000s up front and love them. You'll have to get stock length for the front. For the rear, you can get ones that are longer if you want.

Well I went ahead and placed the order for my shocks today, I decided on Rancho 9000Xs for all four corners.

Front: RS99229: Stock Length
Rear: RS99185: Stock Length

I ordered them from Summit Racing, for a total of 250
for all four. They are selling both the RSXs and the 5000s for 37 bucks - i felt it was worth it to get the 9000s for all corners, since I tow and haul a lot.

I may upgrade to the in-cab control - if i can find it cheap enough on eBay.

If they get to my place by friday, I'll install them this weekend. The truck needs shocks SO BAD!

-Aaron

SKIP THE IN CAB CONTROLLer, the air lines just get in teh way and it is just not worth it unless you are driving a Superduty that tows frequently...........

for the amount of times you will be adjusting them its not worth it.......just more clutter and more that can go wrong.......

Originally posted by 410Fortune
SKIP THE IN CAB CONTROLLer, the air lines just get in teh way and it is just not worth it unless you are driving a Superduty that tows frequently...........

for the amount of times you will be adjusting them its not worth it.......just more clutter and more that can go wrong.......

I agree, no need for the controller as long as you mount the shocks with the knobs easy to get to.

Quick question on the Ranchos, while we are on the subject.

I, too, need shock and was looking at the Rancho line. I was thinking of doing 5000's all the way around. I dont do ANY towing, and will be doing light-medium duty four wheeling. Will these be acceptible? I had them on my 78 blazer, and they did wonderfully.

I hear the 5000s are good, but there is nothing like being able to tune your shocks for best ride and performance.

Originally posted by Alec
I hear the 5000s are good, but there is nothing like being able to tune your shocks for best ride and performance.
Roger that! Its gonna be a month or so before i put new shocks on, so mabye ill look into the 9000's. Thanks for the opinion.

I absolutely recommend 9000s on the front cause that's where your ride and handling matters most. However, if you're thinking about running without a rear swaybar 9000s in the rear would compensate for that.

Back