DENVER COLORADO: Anybody Planning any tame runs this week? Aug 1-3? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DENVER COLORADO: Anybody Planning any tame runs this week? Aug 1-3?

Allas, time and fate didn't have a wheeling trip in the cards for us this time. Mom and Dad just didn't have it in them this time to go treking into the hills. Tomorow is their last day here and they want to spend it with my Mom's mom - my Grandma. And I KNOW that trying to get her on the trail would be an excersize in futality :banghead: Oh well, maybe next time.

Thanks for your sugestions, and Matt (and everyone else), when your breaks are done lets go up Saxson or something!

Also, anyone wanna try some after dark trail sometime?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by TwoToneX
I'd go but I'm MOVING TO TEXAS...Oi...you just can't plan a run when I'm in town, can ya? :p

TwotoneX: Why are you always leaving town when we plan a run? :)

Seriously, why are you moving to Texas? School isn't over already, is it? Or aren't the parties at CU wild enough for ya? :chug:

I believe I am still going on Saturday. May run another trail around there as well. I'll let ya know hopefully sometime today..

no trail is after dark when I'm there :). Well if people want to go up... sunday works better then saturday for me, but if a few people want to go either day will work.

Hey Matt you know whats funny? I used to live in Georgetown (1991) and we would party up there on Saxon all the time. I have even slept in that cabin you have a picture of. There would be like 30 of us up there having a campfire and a keg. My crazy buddy Mike took his BUG up there! Made it all the way up to the cabin. IN the winter time we used to take my 3 wheeler up there with a sled behind it.

Crazy memories.....Saxton mountain.
Wouldnt be so bad to go back up there....

I concur.

LOL I've come across that cabin a few times when theres people staying in there, though don't know how, its a nasty little cabin. I hope its not your beer cans I'm picking up all the time I go upt here or believe you me I WILL open a can of whoopass.

I've never had this "whoopass" beer you are refering too. the cabin was not so bad 11 years ago, we even cleaned it up! I tread lightly, and always have, it's the boy scout in me.

I tell you what there was nothing better back then. I lived in a house right off main street in Georgetown with 4 other guys, just graduated high school, my high scholl sweatheart lived up there (thats why I moved) and her aunt owned a bakery called PICCI's. So in the summertime I worked in the bakery and in the winter I worked at Loveland ski area. Rent was like $150 ea/month, free food, free skiing, it was great! Then of course I had to grow up....

there are some hot chicks up there in Clear Creek, I can tell you that, they are just hiding out.........

well glad to hear that :). Everyone will attest that since this is MATTS TRAIL I make damn sure its spotless whenever I go up there... usually come back with about two garbage bags full of stuff and typically have at least one "large item" that I carry back (lets see... sheets of plywood, old sleeping bags, a couch... the list goes on and on)

So whos wanting to go? Like I said I dont mind leading I just gotta know...

I am in on Sat. or Sun. Preferably sometime early in the day.

ok well my saturday is officially spoken for (working on my brakes and working on shocks for a friend in my f-150 group).
Sunday works for me, if other people want to go. Soetime around 9 or 10 is typically a good time to start the trail.

LOL Me and my neighbor are gonna do Lefthand Canyon on Sunday. It's not a tame trail to say the least though. :)

I'm game on Sunday as well.

Well, my girlfriend and I wen't solo. It was grand.

Very scenic and fun to explorer around all the old mining sites. There are so many roads and turnoffs that it would be very easy to get lost, unless guided or accompanied by a book.

It is a pretty good challenge for a stocker. No real clearance problems or scraping as long as you take the right line. Nice challenging easy trail. As it had been raining there were some areas that were a bit wahsed out, and some areas of 1-2' deep pools.

I saw many big $$ rigs up there. Nice and close to Denver.

Thanks for the recomendation! I suggest this trail for good fun and lots of mining history.

Im sorry I couldn't go. Mom and Dad had other plans for me. The mountain will "always" be there, my parents won't.

I would like to go up Matt's Mountain sometime in the future. But it just didn't work out this time like I had hoped.

Thanks for all of the sugestions tho'.

Travis, glad you enjoyed it. It is a great trail. I can honestly say I think I've taken every turnoff on that trail at least once and followed it for at least a little ways. So yeah I know my way around the trail. Sorry I couldn't join you. I ended up working on one of my friends trucks saturday then working on my own on Sunday. Not a ton of fun. But, my brakes don't squeal anymore! :).
As for the trail, if anyone else wants to get a little group together we can run it and do some exploring. It's always a fun one.

Yea it was great. There are miles and miles of roads there.

How did you get your brakes not to squeal. I have to wash mind (spray off) every week or so to get the dust off. They squeal like heck if I don't keep up on em. I also replaced the pads about 10K miles ago. I was thinking of getting the rotors turned, but not a big deal...

well I gave them a good thourough cleaning, like as far as inside and out, evne took the rotors off and cleaned the inside of em. ALso I applied some stop squeal to the back of the brake pads which is kind of a rubber based stuff. For now its working but we'll see if it'll stop the squealing for good.
I tried to get my rotors turned but they were wore down to much to turn, so next time I'll be replacing rotors too.

Matt we could have had a brake party. I re-did my wheel bearings and serviced the brakes yesterday, since MOAB my bearings have been getting increasingly worse (wobbly) and they needed to be re-packed and torqued. I also cleaned the calipers, rotors, pads, and greased up the slide pins.....much bettter now....man that MOAB red stuff gets everywhere!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, I couldn't believe some of the crap I had behind my rotors. I mean, how the hell do dead bugs get behind your rotors? LOL.

Back