DENVER COLORADO: Anybody Planning any tame runs this week? Aug 1-3? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DENVER COLORADO: Anybody Planning any tame runs this week? Aug 1-3?

lonewolf

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
Westminster, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
Y2K XLT 4door SuperCab
Is anyone interested in something close to the Denver area that would be suitable for newbies in a stocker suv pavement pounder? My parents are up from Texas and I wanted to show them what their new suv can do. I don't mind the tougher trails, but they need somthing mild (read that as boring for many of you) to "get their feet wet".

Let me know if anyone is interested...

PS: the "emotional scar" :eek: of my first severe rock rash from last weeks Yankee Hill trip is wearing off. Besides, I hear that "chicks dig body dammage" :D :D Now I just have to meet these gals...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Colorado Springs has some neat stuff. Lots of variation. Just go up behind the Broadmoar and take Old Stage Road (Gold Camp) and go "Exploring". There is a road I think it is 173 that is real cool..

Do a search on C.Springs I have written some about it there.

Good Luck...If I go I'll try to contact you...

Wish I could spare the time. There's always "Matt's Trail" (a.k.a. Saxon Mountain) right outside of Idaho Springs. I don't remember if you've run it before or not, Jared. If not, it's a pretty tame ride but still has a few areas that might give a few thrills - especially if they've never been off-road before. It can also be completed in just a few hours - depending on if you stop to look around some of the old mines...

heh heh matt's trail... I think I'm going to place a sign up there that says "Matt's trail" :). Seriously thats a good one for the stockers, its scenic, has a lot of history behind it, and isn't so "easy" that its TOO boring.

We should make a "Stocker" run up "Matt's Trail" sometime soon. I am tentatively down for this weekend, if my plans don't change. (who knows)

Matt,

Can you let us in on your trail. How to get there and such?? Please...

You can get to Matts trail via either Georgetown or Idaho Springs. I typically start in Georgetown and come out in Idaho Springs for some good BeauJo's cookin :).
To get there, take the Georgetown exit, take a left into town, follow that street until it comes to a T in the road, take a left. Follow that road until it hits dirt and before you know it your 4-wheeling :). Here's some pics from previous runs:
http://mattadams.f150online.net/saxon/saxon.html
http://mattadams.f150online.net/saxon2/saxon2.html

Never been up Saxon (Matt's Trail) I'm up for it. Just gotta convince the folks that they want to come... Mom keeps trying to back out of it.

Matt: you wanna show us how to get there?

Fischer:
been on old stage and rampart and gold camp roads many times. There is alot to explore there. I wanted something a little closer to home this time though.

I remember when I was a kid, Dad and the family used to take some of those "roads" around there in our passenger car. Just gotta get him excited about it again.

MMPC: hey Chris! Havent talked with you in a while! wassup?!?!

Matt, Thanks for the pictures.

The one with the sign re: high clearance vehicles, How high clearance? Mom and dad's 2002 Olds Bravada is all independent suspension and is not true four wheel drive, it is kinda like Heath's was with a computer controlled all wheel drive. I don't know what the ground clearance is and don't know if it has skid plates....

I know how it goes with "Moms"...
Last time I took her off-road was just up a pretty steep hill on Turkey Day.
I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. I had never heard her say "Oh Sh*t, oh sh*t..." so many times in a row befoer. She walked back down, actually I drove then came back up and walked down with her.

LOL!

I will check into what I have going this weekend. I would like to make that trip, my Explorer likes the tame stuff. I like the paint and body panels like the way they are; perfect.

Nice Pictures! Mountain Goat is great.

well I've seen all kinds of vehicles on this trail... what kind does your parents have? I've seen stock isuzu troopers, many stock ford explorers and rangers and bone stock f-150's, etc. make it with no troubles...

Originally posted by Fischer
Nice Pictures! Mountain Goat is great.
goat.jpg

Yeah that was the only mountain goat I've ever seen up there and he walked by just in the perfect season at just the perfect spot when I just happened to be holding my camera!

Yea they look like leppers in the spring/summer. Blotchy hair and all.

That mountain goat was funny. There were a few of them up there at the time. None of them really seemed to scared, but that one in the pic was walking away.

That trail was first showed to Matt and I when we were watching it on Colorado's Getaway's on News 4. They showed a stock Explorer do it and that weekend we headed up there. :D

I'm goin. It's my girlfriends roommates last day in town so that may be a good "fare-thee-well" gift.

I will look into it and I am sure the girls will want to picnic and things. Should be fun...

Lonewolf, my folks did Saxon with a stock Explorer. Chris also did Saxon with his Explorer he has now and I think it had less then 500 miles on it.
Saxon is a good trail.
Like I said on the Colorado board Kingston Peak is also a good one, but it would be a little harder then Saxon but I think the scenery is a lot better on Kingston.

If your folks are that nervous about going off road, I would say stick with Matt's trail.

well if you want to do Matt's trail I'd be happy to lead you guys no worries there. If you don't, I'll be spending the weekend pulling apart my brakes! :)

I would go with you guys, but I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed tom.:rolleyes: and will be doped up on meds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go but I'm MOVING TO TEXAS...Oi...you just can't plan a run when I'm in town, can ya? :p

Back