Deteriorated Body Mounts | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deteriorated Body Mounts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Increased body roll. The truck will be more unset. Also the body will begin to twist and flex and could spell bad news for welds and could even cause misalignment of doors and windows. This stuff happens over time but it's a good idea to get it taken care of sooner than later. And you can't mis the ever annoying squeaking caused by them.

I had all of the body mount bushings replaced on my 2003 Sport this past July. They were all rotted beyond recognition except for the very front 2. I used the Daystar kit and brought them to a local 4x4 customization shop that did the install for $300. I started this project myself in my one car garage but quickly realized that the $300 meant less to me than the time and frustration of tackling this job with my basic hand tools in the July heat which was not pretty this year.

The guy called me a couple hours into the job and said the Daystar mounts wouldn’t fit…? I had the same kit that everybody else on here has been using and that was the first I had heard of such an issue. He said he needed to cut them down slightly to make them work as they were slightly too tall, I said alright you’re the expert do what you have to do because I’m not about to spend 9 years salary on the Ford pieces nor am I going to pay just to have you put the old rotted bushings back in. Long story short, he cut a small amount off a few of the middle mounts and everything seemed to turn out just fine, the fit is perfect and the mounts feel rock solid (other than the fronts which I had to re-torque just yesterday…but that’s another story). Call me cynical but I’m chalking the trimming up to user error, although I’m interested to know if anybody else has had the same complaint regarding the height of the bushings.

Body Mounts

Bobby: I havent replaced mine but Im on the same page as you... for $300 let the "pro's" do it.

Im wondering if they were suppose to jack up the body from the frame a bit to allow the new mounts room to "slide" in.

Anyone else have this issue installing the new mounts?

Bobby: I havent replaced mine but Im on the same page as you... for $300 let the "pro's" do it.

Im wondering if they were suppose to jack up the body from the frame a bit to allow the new mounts room to "slide" in.

Anyone else have this issue installing the new mounts?

Separating the body from the frame is a big part of the process and basically the reason that I paid the shop to do the work for me. I didn't have the necessary accommodations to do this step correctly. The issue according to the shop owner wasn't the clearance between the body/frame, but the height of the bushing as compared to the length of the hardware. For some reason he couldn't get them to come together without trimming a bit off the top. I was worried but it ended up turning out just fine, if I dodged a bullet then so be it.

I've had replacement bushings for almost a year now and would jump at the first suckers to quote me $300. I'd probably go grab them lunch too.

I've had replacement bushings for almost a year now and would jump at the first suckers to quote me $300. I'd probably go grab them lunch too.

I think he may have partially regretted it in hindsight, it's what they were willing to do it for so I wasn't going to argue.

Are we referring to the "insulators" between the body and frame? I have looked for after markets,no luck. Ford really should recall.

I have noticed my body mounts are starting to fall apart as well, I definitely like the Idea of the day star kit, but I read that you have to reuse original hardware. I'm also interested in installing a 3" body lift. Will the lift kit come with the hardware I need to not only replace the bushing, but also lift the truck? I kinda want to kill two birds with one stone instead of removing the seats twice!

No, you'll need to buy the isolators separate. You definitely want to do it all at one time.

So I was quoted $300 to install a body lift at a local 4x4 shop. Who thinks I could sneak in the daystar kit in addition to the lift and hope to only pay one labor charge?

If they didn't notice, I'd be worried about their competence to do the job. That said, it shouldn't change labor cost much if at all. If they go up another $100, you're still in a great deal.

Factory Bolt Specifications

I have a 2002 Trac and want to get the Prothane 6-116 kit. Before I order the kit I want to get all new harware to replace the factory crap. There's a Fastenal store just 5 minutes drive from me and I want to get Grade 10.9 bolts from them. Spent the last couple days looking for the exact specs on the bolts and I can't find them.

Shaft thickness, shaft length, and thread pitch for the bolts at each location.

Anybody know? My ST is just a daily driver, RWD, and no intentions of ever lifting it.

10470637_10152905782348178_5999594299387313943_n.jpg

11081278_10152829003203178_2676775263693284269_n.jpg

11083623_10152829003473178_6779679493972964199_n.jpg

1622711_10152829003523178_7134933168616326226_n.jpg

10576963_10152829003713178_2991407603567368131_n.jpg

150791_10152829004028178_394123684735103989_n.jpg

11057909_10152829004048178_1791169353481501456_n.jpg

If my hardware was in your shape-I would be 1 happy guy! That looks great, to me.

I already bought the 6116 kit-still in the box. I want/need to do this badly but every time I look down there get discouraged at what I see. I actually pulled up the floor to take a peek at mount at drivers feet and the bolt head looks bad or at least rusted and edges were crumbling. I put everything back real quick after that.

Torch to soften NASA Loctite, standard 18mm six point socket, and a strong impact wrench. Go for it, lot's of experience on EF. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fastenal

I don't trust factory hardware and buy all new whenever I can. Usually I plan ahead for a task. I ordered new 10.9 bolts from my local Fastenal in yellow zinc.

The sku number for the two fronts is 11114576

For the remaining six the sku number is 11114573

Back