Deteriorated Body Mounts | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deteriorated Body Mounts

I found using a ratchet with a breaker bar and using a huge pipe wrench to hold the bottom of the metal plate to hold it in place works. You need 2 people but it's easier than vise grips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got it to loosen a little bit, then it started to bind and bent my vice grips! So, an 18" pipe wrench then. Ill give that a shot.

Yeah, my impact wrench didn't even budge them. Used vice grips on the bottom but same method. Good luck.

Got them all in tonight except the front right. Snapped that bolt head right off. Otherwise done! My goodness this was quite a chor.

Had my 01 ST body bushings replaced this week with Daystars. I supplyed the bushings the body shop charged me only $352 labor plus they had to replace some bolts which they didn't charge me for either! Great deal I think!
Good luck to the rest of you!

Bushing replacement

To all of you that replaced these deteriorated mounts. It seems that the removal of the steel bolts, sleeves, washers, etc CAN be alot of work.

Im thinking that I'll just cut the metal parts out and install new along with the after market rubber bushings. I know the cost will be higher but all the posting of how much time and effort is need to remove the steel parts is my concern.

Thoughts?

I just used a metal pipe on the end of my 1/2 breaker bar to get the proper leverage. Cutting would be WAY more work IMO. Just use a torch or something to heat up the bold in advance would make it a lot easier. Ford doesnt make some of those bushings so i wouldnt cut anything until i had parts in hand.

I have noticed that my driverside rear most body mount now is making noise (the one behind the rear seat) it squeaks or clunks best to describe it! I looked at the mount and noticed the mount between the body and frame on top was solidly tight BUT the bottom portion can be slid up and down about a quarter of a inch. Is this a correct install because the pass side is the same?
Daystar body mounts were installed!
Can someone please verify this for me?
Thanks

They will squeak if you don't have the bolt tightened far enough

Is this a problem on 2003s?

It's a problem on all of them. I really wish I knew about it all before I did my lift, because those were such a PITA that I wont be doing it any time soon. But yes even my 05 could go for some new ones

Something useful for this thread:

The body mounts on my trac were shot when I got it. The replacements from Ford are really expensive and no one else makes replacements. I heard through the explorerforum that Prothane was looking for some people to try out their new kit for the sport trac. I gave Keith a call, and a couple of days later I had new body mounts. They worked great, and no more squeaking/banging from the body. They do use the stock Ford bolts and washers, which were a pain to get apart, but doable with some patience and a little persistence with a torch.

Keith Covey
Product Development
Prothane Motion Control | DEE Engineering Inc.
3560 Cadillac Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA92626
T: (888) 776-8426
www.prothane.com
keith@prothane.com

(copied from dezertrangers, from user- Highroad, with the wonder woman trac)

I have noticed that my driverside rear most body mount now is making noise (the one behind the rear seat) it squeaks or clunks best to describe it! I looked at the mount and noticed the mount between the body and frame on top was solidly tight BUT the bottom portion can be slid up and down about a quarter of a inch. Is this a correct install because the pass side is the same?
Daystar body mounts were installed!
Can someone please verify this for me?
Thanks

Checked the bolt tightness and its pretty dam tight SO can someone check to see if that rear lower body mount slids (has movement) like mine does to verify if I have a problem after intall of the Daystars?

Yes they should fit tight

It's a problem on all of them. I really wish I knew about it all before I did my lift, because those were such a PITA that I wont be doing it any time soon. But yes even my 05 could go for some new ones

I checked mine last night. The rears look new, the middle and forward are shot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back