diagnose cause of loose steering (video included) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

diagnose cause of loose steering (video included)

feedthemonkey

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XL
Steering feels loose on my 93 EX. I've replaced inner and outer tie rods. Professional alignment. I think it might be the gear box. Before I go down that route, what do you think? Does this shaft play look normal? ( I see my rag joint needs replaced.) Indicative of steering box problem? Something else?

Some people tell me, "yeah man, it's a 30yr old Ford. They come off the factory line loose. Fiddle with something else."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It doesn't look like anything is wrong to me, it is also important to remember that recirculating ball steering naturally has noticeable on center play. Changing the tie rods/ball joints definitely would help with steering feel, but the on center play is just a part of the steering box design.

I suspect it's both, normal... for the amount of wear on a 30 yo vehicle.

The following posts/topics state there is an adjuster screw you could try tightening.

I just looked at the bottom of this topic, Similar Threads and it linked the ones above. :)

There aren't many things to inspect.

1) The universal joint which connects the steering column shaft to the intermediate shaft (inside the vehicle under the dash).

2) The rag joint.......which should always be replaced when attempting to eliminate slack in the steering wheel.

3) Bad joint on the pitman arm.

4) Steering box adjustment.

Thanks for the input fellas. I ran through those older threads ahead of this post but wanted some "eyes" on my specific movement. Can anyone point out the 'adjustment screw' in this diagram?

power steering exploded.png
power steering exploded.png

Be careful with adjustment however, if you have it too tightly adjusted it will wear out the steering box over time.

Redhead steering box has been amazing at fixing this for me.
I looked at those! costs maybe $100 more that RockAuto. I was about to go that way until someone suggested that this “style” of steering gear is simply sloppy from the get go. Not your experience?

The adjustment screw is on the case of the steering box.
Tightening it will not actually remove slop, only add resistance to the movement.
Do the rag joint.

I have a RedHead steering box and it was well worth the extra money. I have noticed a little movement in my steering column after replacing just about everything in my front suspension chasing down a shudder. I don't think there is a U-joint under the dash for the 1990-94 Explorers. I had to replace everything from the dashboard down due to an electrical fire and the column goes through the firewall. Lower part of the column mounts to the firewall. The lower shaft with the rag joints on it mounts to the column. I had a mod for a while with a XJ shaft because it has U-joints instead of rag joints. The U-joints started getting sloppy and I ended up putting the old rag joint shaft back on.

This subject has been addressed here many times. The suggested threads are full of previous threads.

Another one here for the redhead. I have one in my full size bronco, and it's amazing the difference compared to my explorer. The explorer has inches of slop and is like driving a autopia car at Disneyland vs the Bronco is nice and tight.

I drove mine for 9 years that way. I noticed it at first but then got used to it and considered it normal.

Steering feels loose on my 93 EX. I've replaced inner and outer tie rods. Professional alignment. I think it might be the gear box. Before I go down that route, what do you think? Does this shaft play look normal? ( I see my rag joint needs replaced.) Indicative of steering box problem? Something else?

Some people tell me, "yeah man, it's a 30yr old Ford. They come off the factory line loose. Fiddle with something else."

First check the center drag link. It'll have a ball joint on one end. Try to rotate the drag link. It should not budge. That done, on your steering gear opposite side of the shaft you'll notice a big nut and a theaded rod sticking out. Red circle on picture above. It'll either have a Allen head fitting or screwdriver fitting on the end. Loosen the nut. Turn the threaded rod clockwise until you feel resistance, don't over tighten it. With it adjusted hold the threaded rod part while you tighted the big nut down. What that does is takes the slack out of the worn worm gear and gives it extra life.

That adjuster on the box is for setting tension on the shaft, not taking up slack. Overtightening the adjuster will put more side pressure on worn parts, causing them to wear faster.
steering_box_nut_66e3ef3c8d7d56e1dc76d6489271805e2eb2f52c.jpg

That adjuster on the box is for setting tension on the shaft, not taking up slack. Overtightening the adjuster will put more side pressure on worn parts, causing them to wear faster.
View attachment 436514
It's already wore out. I didn't say wrench it down. Turn it until you feel resistance and stop. Other than that buy a new one.

Back