diagnosing 4x4 hi light blinking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

diagnosing 4x4 hi light blinking

explore1111

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
Hey all! New to the forum and excited about all the helpful people and information available so I can do repairs myself instead of paying an arm and a leg. so the issue started with my abs light came on randomly one day and the following day the abs light was still on but the 4x4 high light started blinking usually 10 times every few minutes. It seems like it's trying to engage 4x4 without me pushing the button. Almost positive my front right wheel hub needs replaced because of the grinding and noise I hear coming from that wheel. Are all theses issues related? Should I start by replacing wheel hub and see if new wheel hub and sensor fix issue?
Read a lot of the forums on here to similar issues but couldn't find a fix, sorry if I am asking something already been posted about!

Thanks for all the help!

A good scanner should be able to get codes from the transfer case system, this should be the first place to start.

The blinking light is a indication the the computer has seen a problem, just have communicate with it.

Most automatic 4x4 use the abs sensors to know when the wheels are losing traction.. So if one wheel is dragging or contacting the abs sensor then it will throw the system off and cause all kind of problems.

Back