Diamond Cut Headlight problem | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diamond Cut Headlight problem

I have had the Diamond Cut Headlights on my '99 for quite a while now and have been very happy with them

I just noticed that the drivers side light has fogged up.

Anyone else with these lights have this problem?

Thoughts... ideas... duggestions

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bill, where is this OEM light vent? Got a pic?

I don't remember any type of vent when I took mine out and unfortunately they have been junked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Al, I dont have a pic or any OEM lights. There is a little fitting with an O ring on it that looks like a smoke stack with a cap on it. It is stuck into the OEM lights and the OEM cornor lights. All I have is a memory of it being there when I bought some new lights for my X and hade to move these vents from the old set to the new ones.

Bill, corner lights too? I just looked at mine and don't see what you describe, I must be missing it??

96limitedX said:
i still have my stock heads. i can take a look if you like?

Please do so and take a pic if you can. Thanks in advance.

Al, The cornor lights on the Merc. have them.

i know that there are 2 holes on the backside of the ("old" style) clearcorners

25243DSCF00181-med.jpg

Not sure of the OEM corners, though.

If i remember correctly (and when i get home i'll verify this) there ARE little black "plugs" in the holes on the bottom of my aftermarket OEM-style headlights (that i've got selling on eBay). I'll take a pic and post.

104369.jpg

zero holes in my stock 96' headlights. the corner lights(stock) did have 2 holes in the same places the aftermarket croners did.

My aftermarket OEM-style headlights are pictured:

2524303-13-05_0248.jpg

2524303-13-05_0247.jpg

(Sorry 'bout the crappy camera-phone pics) - But, you get the idea. These are in no way "vent stacks" - just a hard rubber or plastic plug in a hole. Doesn't wiggle or move or allow air in or out. Just a plug...

mines alittle different then that. but it also has a little nipple. but mines gray and also very hard with no holes.

Really late $.02

mines alittle different then that. but it also has a little nipple. but mines gray and also very hard with no holes.

Dang - I'm reviving a 6 year old thread. I'm no expert, and I have the OEM lamps, but I have an idea.

Al (RIP) had it right by attaching a vent to the TOP of the light. When it heats, it'll evaporate. That will make it rise. I doubt that the condensation would vent to the bottom.

Just adding my (extremely late) 2¢.

Also to help dry them out. Those little silica bags that come packed in with new shoes and other product you buy, are there to absorb moisture. I have tied a couple to a string and hung it in through the bulb hole over night. They will help suck all the moisture out.

someone, for the love of god, lock this thread

Here is a stock factory headlight off of a 1997 mercury mountaineer. On the bottom of the housing there is a small hole that is then covered by a very fine mesh 'sticker.' I know on retrofitsource.com you can get Goretex 'stickers' that are I think 20mm and cover a 10mm hole to allow the headlight to breathe.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/goretex-patches-49892.html#.Vk_xHrerSCg

You can also get butyl glue in rope form to reseal the lenses to the back of the housings if you want to go the route of replacing the butyl glue seal that's there.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/a...etrorubber-butyl-glue-50257.html#.Vk_xI7erSCg
25kpjm8.jpg

Back