• Register Today It's free!

Did i really need one??

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
Well this morning my truck would not start, the battery was dead and wouldnt even crank over, just a bunch of clicking noise..

so i tried boosting it like i did yesturday and is still wouldnt start.

yesturday i got a cuple of cranks out of the engine but it started to make clicking noises, but jumping it worked..

so i bought a new battery today the cost me $140, and it started right up after that.

my truck was in my garage that was alot warmer then it was outside, -40c and it was also pluged in.

So did i need a new battery? becasue it seemed that mine just wouldnt keep its full charge. tommrow i will see how it starts again just to make sure my alt is charging up the battery fully

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your old battery could have been low on water. You just top it off with distilled water to be just a little above the plates. Thats if its a serviceable battery, and then you just charge it with one of those trickle chargers.

If it was an old battery it might have in fact been bad. and cold weather takes its toll on batteries too.

i actually drained my battery tonight, being so cold took no time to drain it, had my 4-ways on while parked on side of road maybe an hour and it wouldnt even turn over, a while ago when it wasnt so cold i did same thing for about 2 hours and never phased the battery. how old was your battery? maybe it was just getting worn out + being so cold

i dont know how old the battery was, i bought my explorer about 15 months ago and its been the same battery..

today is warmer, about -25c and it strated right up

ya probably the battery then

oh and i found out how old the battery was. its was from Oct 2001.

it was a motomaster with 1080CA and 800CCA , my new one has 1000CA and 850CCA

Back