Dies when stopping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dies when stopping

Lupid32

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer Sport Trac
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer sport trac XLT 2wd. And sometimes when I come to a stop it dies. I notice the battery light pops on and it'll say check gauges. It starts up immediately after. I've replaced spark plugs and wires, IAC, TPS, crankshaft sensor, ignition coil, fuel pump and filter, and had the throttle body cleaned. Had it checked for vacuum leaks and took it to my local ford dealer with still nothing diagnosed. I'm running out of ideas and money. It won't read a code because it clears itself. HELP!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it clears itself when it cuts off then there is an interruption in battery power, or a bad battery. Check cables first (wiggle them around while vehicle is running...CAREFULLY) then have the battery checked also shaking it as the voltage is being checked. The alternator could also be intermittently shorting internally so check it if you have no luck with the easier tests.
Sorry to say, none of the "replaced spark plugs and wires, IAC, TPS, crankshaft sensor, ignition coil, fuel pump and filter, and had the throttle body cleaned. Had it checked for vacuum leaks" would cause it to lose it's memory of codes.

I took it advance auto parts and had the battery and alternator checked. And it passed. He did say some ripple worried him a bit.

Ripple?

Is there any way I can send you the images from the tests

Back