• Register Today It's free!

Idles for little while then dies?

Justin DC

Reaction score
City, State
Campbellsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Sport trac
I'll soon be wrenching on my Mom's 04' Sport Trac. I figured you guys could head me in the right direction! She has app. 40K miles on this truck. She was driving 55 mph all was well when suddenly she loses power then it dies. She coast to a near by parking lot, and notice the check gauges light on. All fluids are good. The truck will idle then soon die. If the throttle is mashed it dies immediately. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the mass air sensor, I have gone through 4 of them. And that is exactly what mine did each time. You may be able to spray some brake cleaner through it , and it may start working. And then I would reset the computer by removing the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes.

Chad

i would check the MAF like was said above, but if that doesnt fix it look at the alternator.....its a long shot, but i've had cars die on me like that while driving because the battery wasnt charging and sending spark, and the same happened when i let it sit and crank it, if i tried to stomp it the battery would drain and die instantly

maybe bad coil pack?

That happened to me once when I was driving about 40 mph. Hasn't happened again, but it's always in the back of my mind.

Thanks guys! I cleaned up the IAC sensor, put on a new fuel and air filter, and that took care of it.

If it starts listen for a sucking sound under the hood. If you hear one, check your vacuum lines.

Back