• Register Today It's free!

Diesel Ranger

parris001

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
So I learned from a friend that these early Ranger/Mazda B trucks came with a diesel engine as an option. 2300cc from what I've heard, later a bigger turbo engine.

I have access to Kubota/Kiota engines of the same displacement and power output, well, pretty close. I think what the Kubota lacks in hp it'll make up for in shear grunt. And weighing in at 425 lbs I imagine it's a little heavier.

My question is, what did these little trucks use for a rear end? Were they geared they same as their gas burning brothers? I can see building a little 4 cylinder Ranger, maybe on even a later model chassis. I just wonder what would make for a good junkyard final drive ratio that would give me some highway speed.

From what I can find, the 7.5 axle was the only axle available in the years that a diesel was an option, and the standard ratios were from 3.45 up to 4.10.
The Ranger diesel had HP and torque numbers pretty on par with the regular 4 cyl engine, so seems like they just went with the standard drivetrain.
I would go with an 8.8 just because, and run 4.10 or higher depending on your tire size.

Yeah, but standard torque and hp numbers tied to an engine that tops out at around 2100 rpms makes for a vehicle that won't be very freeway friendly.

Hmmmmm......... maybe a steep overdrive transmission?

I think with a diesel, you would want to run taller gears. A diesel typically has more torque and can handle the taller gears compared to a similar displacement gasoline engine. You are right, diesels normally don't rev very high and 4.10 gears would be pretty slow unless you run some tall tires (probably 33" minimum).

Back