• Register Today It's free!

Diesel sound??

Red99Sport

Reaction score
City, State
West surburbs of IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4X4
I have read for quite some time now people talking about something going bad that makes their Explorers sound like a diesel. What exactly is it they are refering to? I have a problem of a rattling that sounds like a heat shield, but when I had my Flowmaster installed, I couldn't find anything loose on my exhaust. I am just curious that details of this diesel sounding problem for future reference. Thanks
Jason

Originally posted by Red99Sport
I have read for quite some time now people talking about something going bad that makes their Explorers sound like a diesel. What exactly is it they are refering to? I have a problem of a rattling that sounds like a heat shield, but when I had my Flowmaster installed, I couldn't find anything loose on my exhaust. I am just curious that details of this diesel sounding problem for future reference. Thanks
Jason

Camshaft tensioners. Three revisions by Ford since '97, I.think the latest revision was about a year ago. It sounds like a diesel for the first few seconds after starting it when the engine is warmed up on a hot day.

Yup, had my cam tensioners replaced once already.

I also get a slight rattle right at 2500rpm.

Back