SOHC diesel sound = bent exhaust valves | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC diesel sound = bent exhaust valves

Brutus

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
Finally found out why my 97 sohc 4.0 sounded like a diesel motor and would not run right. Turns out that this motor was a recent swap with only 20k on it, so I thought, how could it be running so terrible. When the idiot garage put the motor in they did not have the timing correct so the exhaust valves in the left bank of cylinders were hitting the pistons. The valves bent and were stuck open. 8 dollars a valve = 24 dollars and a new timing cover seal = 8 for a total of 30 dollars. Pretty amazing that this was the problem. Now for my question to all of you real mechanics or Ford techs. Has any one correctly timed a sohc motor WITHOUT having the proper Ford allignment tools. Theoreticlly it can be done by the firing order and the valve sequence. Has any one done this? Any info is appreciated. I have the moter on a stand with the heads ready to go back on, the only problem is not having the ford tools, any ideas on where to get them or any other procedure to get the timing correct?

no mechanics on this board

Its hard to believe that no-one on this site has timed a sohc 4.0. Then, I conclude, that there are no mechanics on this site. What a shame!

It has only been six hours..

There are plenty of knowledgable people around here that can probably help you, but you'll have to give it some time.

Not everyone is always on ; )

Hope you get your answer. The info is out there somewhere.

Sorry this post wasn't more helpful, but goodluck.

Back