Diesel Vs. Gas? Looking 4 F-250

95EXP4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT 4x4
Hello all,
I'm trying to get some pros & cons about getting a powerstroke or the 6.9 diesel F250 as my towing vehicle because the 4.0 explorer just isn't cutting it. Is a diesel more maintenance, what do you have to do, and is there a site I can refer to? My other option is going for the 460 big block. Diesel gas is pretty expensive around the Chicago area it's usually about 20 cents higher than 93 octane here. Which route should I take diesel or gas any opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well diesel will get better fuel mileage. Also diesels will easily go 300,000 miles before a major rebuild. The power made by the diesel (and the torque) is really really nice.

I think it is no contest. The Ford Power Stoke is so powerfull and so reliable, plus it will last about twice as long... go diesel or go home. It completes the ultimate tow rig. Are you going crew cab?

Originally posted by Michigander
I think it is no contest. The Ford Power Stoke is so powerfull and so reliable, plus it will last about twice as long... go diesel or go home. It completes the ultimate tow rig. Are you going crew cab?

Michigander....I'm not sure yet depends on what kind of deal I can find, actually I was looking for something used it's not gonna be an everyday truck. I was also looking at the older 6.9 diesels as an option how different is that compared to the new powerstroke? I mean I know the powerstroke is a hellva' lot better now as time progresses.

diesel is that expensive by you!?!:eek:

around here diesel costs the same as regular 87 octane.

Heck ya! It's a 1.50 out here in the city.

the avg price for diesel here is about $1.169
that's a big difference

Wouldn't it be important to tell us what yer towing? If yer gonna tow yer X with it... go diesel... If yer towin a boat, and the X can hardly keep up with it, you'd probly only need an F-150... tell us what yer gonna use it for... :rolleyes:
Pete

Originally posted by RFR2212
Wouldn't it be important to tell us what yer towing? If yer gonna tow yer X with it... go diesel... If yer towin a boat, and the X can hardly keep up with it, you'd probly only need an F-150... tell us what yer gonna use it for... :rolleyes:
Pete

Boat & trailer total weight I'd say about 3000lbs. I'd rather go with a heavier duty truck 3/4 ton, I also plan on towing a mustang and trailer whenever the project is complete.

Absolutley deisel. How much do you plan on spending? Another thing, what ever truck you decide on, be sure it is not an automatic. You will have nothing but trouble.

Originally posted by KEbert
Absolutley deisel. How much do you plan on spending? Another thing, what ever truck you decide on, be sure it is not an automatic. You will have nothing but trouble.

i thought automatic was better for towing. it can tow more weight. and the automatic transmissions with gas V-8's and diesel are pretty strong (unlike the auto that came in explorer V-6's).

I was hopefully finding something good running for 3k or less, I'm not to cocerned about looks just as long as the door isn't falling off. Hmmm don't get an auto eh? I brought that subject up in a conversation with my buddy he was talking about how auto is better to tow with because it's not relying on a clutch to shift but using the pressure from the trans fluid going through the torque convertor. I know I'd rather have a 5 spd but how will it make a signifigance wether i go manual or auto?

Originally posted by leenjen

i thought automatic was better for towing. it can tow more weight. and the automatic transmissions with gas V-8's and diesel are pretty strong (unlike the auto that came in explorer V-6's).

Hey leen we replied to that paragraph at the same time, jinx!! haha Anyway....I just remembered something else I know I don't see to many F350's and other heavy duty trucks with manual's as much as I do the autos could that be for a reason perhaps? Speaking of crappy transmissions on explorers mine kicked the bucket at 80k, who knows what the previous owners did to it that's why I'm kind of paranoid the thing will blow again if I keep towing with it.

hey 95 Exp,
I would definatly go diesel...the advantages far outweigh disadvantages.

The explorer should easially pull a 3,000 boat. if your tranny was rebuilt at the dealer I wound;t worry about it for another 80,000. If your going to tow, i would get an external tranny cooler and synthetic tranny fluid though. Just a suggestion.

How old are you looking to get here? I'm not sure what you can get for 3K or less, but I would stick with an auto. The old Ford trannies aren't the same as they are now. An old diesel might have a built C4 or C6, in which case it will last forever.

Originally posted by Michigander
How old are you looking to get here? I'm not sure what you can get for 3K or less, but I would stick with an auto. The old Ford trannies aren't the same as they are now. An old diesel might have a built C4 or C6, in which case it will last forever.

Anywhere from an 82-93, believe it or not I've found plenty of diesels for under 3k, there was one that caught my eye but it was all the way in nebraska scratch that thought. Well if I do end up with an auto as long as it has over drive I won't complain. I also remember reading something about on diesel engines you have to change the oil more often, now what about the glow plugs,etc regular maintenance stuff you do with a regular gasoline vehicle?

I don;t think you have to change the oil more often..I was under the impression that the diesel could go longer without an oil change. i'll find out for sure and let youknow (my Dad used to be a diesel technician)

Absolutley deisel. Another thing, what ever truck you decide on, be sure it is not an automatic. You will have nothing but trouble.

Do you own a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel with an automatic?

If not, how do you know he will have nothing but problems?

I have a 2000 F-250 Powerstroke with an Automatic.

Hands down the BEST truck I have owned. The auto in it shifts perfectly and has not had a problem. This includes many long distance trips pulling a Bronco II, Supercab Ranger, 4-door Explorer, and a Camaro.

Automatics are not as unreliable (unless you have an A4LD....that has been proven unreliable) as everyone makes them out to be.

I have no personal experience with the 6.9L, but it is a non-turboed motor. So you might want to look out for that.

If it is an older truck with an auto, it will be a C6 more than likely. I don't think they ever used a C4 in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Originally posted by CoryL

If it is an older truck with an auto, it will be a C6 more than likely. I don't think they ever used a C4 in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

I'm pretty sure if it was a 460 block it would definately be a C6 I don't think they even make one that fits a big block. Maybe a C4 with a 351.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 97 F-250 work truck w/ 5.8L gas motor, they are very tough trucks, the automatic is fine in them, I would not want to shift gears when towing. As far as the diesel vs gas motor, How far do you plan on towing, for long distances I would say go with the diesel, Once diesels are started they like to run. If you are traveling an hour or less each time go with the gas, the 5.8L has plenty of tourgue to pull a boat or car. Are you looking for 2wd or 4wd?

Dan

Back