Diff. between 4.0L OHV in XLT and in XLS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diff. between 4.0L OHV in XLT and in XLS?

Fishrising

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
Hi All,

This may be a dumb question but here goes: Does anyone know of any difference in the 4.0L OHV motor that goes in the XLT versus the one that goes into the XLS? Or is it literally the same? I have a '00 XLS 4x4 with 4.0L OHV, and have been watching the boards (and trying to learn some of the wealth of info here) and am considering several mods to the engine. But has anyone done it on the XLS? Or, does anyone know of any reasons why it would be different than another model's 4.0L OHV? Thanks in advance!

p.s.: This is a great site! I have learned tons already!

Nope, they are exactly the same.

im not sure about the new ones but i thought the newer 4.0 engines were 210-hp SOHC not OHV like my 4.0l 160-hp engine

Originally posted by jimabena74
im not sure about the new ones but i thought the newer 4.0 engines were 210-hp SOHC not OHV like my 4.0l 160-hp engine

You are right and wrong :) Beginning in '97 Ford offered 2 different 4.0L engines in the Explorer. The OHV 4.0L (like the one in yours) is still rated at 160 HP. The SOHC 4.0L that was introduced in '97 has been rated from 205HP-210HP depending on the year. I have read rumors that Ford plans to drop the OHV from the Explorer but I don't know if that happened with the 2001 model or not. The OHV was still available in 2000 and was the only engine available with the XLS or the manual transmission. That is probably the main reason Ford kept it around for as long as they did since they didn't have a manual transmission (until very recently) that could take the increased power and torque of the SOHC. If they did away with the SOHC, then they couln't offer a manual transmission either. Now that they have a manual transmission for the SOHC, I can see the OHV going away.

Back