Difference in wheel size? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference in wheel size?

Hi all,

I've been searching this site for about two weeks now and have a question I can't find an answer for. Well, first of all, somebody smacked into my X so now I get to have some fun with it. I'm going with a 2" suspension lift, 3" BL, and probably some glass fenders. I'd like to put some 33"x 12.5" tires on there. Is there any advantage of going with a 15"x 10" rim versus the 15"x8" rim? I can pick up some 15"x8" rims pretty cheap but should I go with the wider wheels for any reason?

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go with the 8s. You'll have an easier time getting them to not rub with that amount of lift. :cool:

The 10" rims will give you a larger footprint with the tires, but they are very hard on bearings and steering.

With that much lift and fiberglass fenders you could easily fit 35" tires. Any reason for wanting only a 2" sus lift? I'm not a big fan of body lifts.

Ok, thanks for the info. The main reason that I didn't want to go bigger than 33's is that I heard that was the point where you had to start messing with gearing too. I could be way off but that's what I heard.

I'm really open to suggestions at this point. I have the lift kit on the way but I'm just starting to look at wheels and tires. The reason I went with the 3" BL and 2" suspension is purly cost. The glass fenders are only going to happen if I can do the lift cheaply. I got a PA BL, AAL, and 2" front spacers shipped for $192 so I think those fenders will be next. I can't seem to find anybody who has the Warrior shackles in stock though so I'm not sure about that yet.

Oh, this is a 99% pavement pounder. I haul my quads to the dunes but other than getting into a little sand I don't do offroading with it. I just got tired of having one of a million white explorers so I started looking into lifts. Then a guy took out my front fender so I have some $$ to play with now.

Any ideas of what would be a good highway tire but still to ok in the sand?

The tire height will all depend on your gears as far as how much you want to go and vice versa. With the fiberglass fenders, you might want to go with the 10" rims otherwise it might look silly. Just expect to check/replace wheel bearings once a year.

My BFG AT/KOs are awesome on the street and in the sand/snow.

I say go with the 8" wheels. Most people put 4.56 gears in with 33's anyways, do more research as far as gear ratios go. If you find you need to change gears for 33's, might as well get 35's.

Good point Birdman. Are you sure I could get 35's under there with only a 5" lift? I've been searching the threads and 33 is all I thought I would be able to get in there.

Originally posted by kenr74
Good point Birdman. Are you sure I could get 35's under there with only a 5" lift? I've been searching the threads and 33 is all I thought I would be able to get in there.

But if you install fiberglass fenders, 35s will fit easily. My previous version of this Exploder was a 5.5" lift, fiberglass front fenders, and 35s on 10" rims. I had plenty of room.

Ok, so 33's with stock fenders and 35's if I go with glass. The back end could handle 35's either way though right?

Damn!! This is getting more expensive.:D

i started off thinking of getting a 2" sus lift and 31x12.5's tires.....ended up with 5" lift 33x12.5's on a 10" wheel. 10" wheels imo look better than 8's but i like the wide aggressive look. I had to trim with that wheel and tire combo with stock fenders. With glass ones you should be fine. I dont know about going up to 35's. I'm on the verge now where any more lift and i'll need steps. I have 3.73 gearing which is what i think you have and i'm running about 6 mph fast at 55mph on my speedo. If you tow a boat i recommend you go to 4.10's or 4.56's .probably 4.56's if you dont do a whole heck of a lot of highway drivin.

Back