Differences between years 1991-1994 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between years 1991-1994

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
Thought I'd make a list of the things I've noticed between my 1991 and 1994 Explorers just out of curiosity. If you know of any other differences or know what year they were introduced, feel free to contribute!

1991:
  • Barometric sensor added (on 03/91)
  • AC hose ran at rear of engine
  • Early models had clip-on fuel line at fuel pressure regulator (not on 03/91)
  • Fiberglass/composite rear differential cover (on 03/91)
  • Power Distribution Box has fuses on top, relays underneath (on 03/91)
  • Tire pressure is listed as 30 PSI front, 35 PSI rear (on 03/91)
  • Air intake tube is a 3-piece design with clamps connecting 2 rubber tubes to a flattened plastic tube on top of the radiator (on 03/91)
  • Steering shaft has 1 rag joint and 1 u-joint (on 03/91)

1992:
  • Barometric sensor removed

1993:
  • Camshaft sensor (synchronizer) added
  • Upgraded head casting to 93TM (same design, better cast)
  • EGR added halfway through model year
  • AC hose ran above radiator
  • O2 sensors for both banks
  • Later models changed belt tensioner style to single-bolt attach & ribbed pulley (not on 07/93 but on 11/93)
  • Welded-in crossmember between frame rails under radiator
  • 4WABS
  • Stamped steel rear differential cover (on 07/93)
  • New Power Distribution Box has relays and fuses on top
  • California models have EGR

1994:
  • EGR system for all
  • Sequential fuel injection with upgraded 4-hole injectors
  • 6th digit on odometer (most, not all)
  • Tire pressure recommendations dropped to 26 PSI cold front & rear, starting the Firestone fiasco
  • Air intake duct is a single piece mould (10/94)
  • Steering shaft is double rag joint, no u-joints (on 10/94)
  • Heater control bypass valve (shuts off flow to the heater core during AC use)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the camshaft position sensor was introduced in 93, the egr setup was brought in in 94 if I'm not mistaken.

Totally forgot about EGR. Updated the post.

My 94' limited has 5 digit odometer. Not real consistent with some of the updates.
Oh and let's not get into California specific start dates for EGR!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Other than that, the 94's are less sucky.. .. .:moon: .. .. .:laugh:

EGR was added halfway thru the 1993 model year on the Explorer. :) :)

RockRanger's '93 Ranger doesn't have EGR as we all saw in his recent thread. That made me wonder when Ford started putting EGR in on Rangers.

Also. I have a 5-digit odometer on my '94. (+ tenths)

Were the deer print wheels introduced in 1993?

93 was first year for the Limited. Were things like heated mirrors (which I know Limiteds had) in earlier years?

'93 got 4wabs, and the relocated evap canister and speed control that goes with it.
91-2 have the AC hose running between the firewall and plenum, while the 93-4 have it running around the front of the engine. Not really important, but it makes a big difference when you are working back in that spot where cam sensor is.
Do the 94's have two oxygen sensors?

I bought my brand new 93 Explorer Sport (4x4) in Santa Rosa, Ca (so this is CA emissions vehicle) in late April 1993. It has EGR and cam shaft position sensor and 2 O2 sensors. It also has 2 wheel ABS in front and ABS to rear diff. It has pwr locks, windows, mirrors and the premium AM FM /cassette system (still sounds better than my '11 Corolla system !). I replaced the radio 2x, but with originals (the last time thanks to generous forum member) It also has the towing package (which I never really used). Unfortunately, the roads in SW Virginia in the winter have taken their toll on the body. Last fall I did purchase inner and outer rockers and haven't had time to replace. It has 331,000 miles on it. I still have the window sticker when I bought it.

I don't know what you mean by deer print wheels. Do you have a picture ?

Those were on my 93 ex when I bought it

I thought the Camshaft Sensor came in 94 to support the Sequential Fuel Injection? That added the 4 Hole Injectors as well.

Yes, 94's have 2 O2 Sensors behind the manifolds.

93 & 94 Ford did whatever they felt like......
Your going to find options that should be 94 only...on 93. Your also going to find oddball things like some 94's having the cargo side panels of the 95+ & hence use the 95+ cargo covers & small things like different belt tensionors, & 5 or 6 digit OD's.

I just got a 93 explorer and am surprised by differences. The tensioner (also a different style) and idler pulley swapped locations from what I normally see. It has a 6 digit odometer. I assume it has batch fire fuel injection, but I'll check later. I haven't looked if I have a cam sensor or not. It has 2 O2 senors, and no EGR system. It has a NSS on the transmission. Also it appears to have 4WABS.

By comparison my 94 b4000 (ranger) has sequential fuel injection, no NSS, had EGR (deleted), and no ABS to speak of. It also has a 6 digit odometer.

Another comparison is my 94 explorer, it too has a 6 digit odometer. It has 4WABS, EGR, sequential fuel injection, 2 O2 sensors, and the whole works.

I'm pretty sure all three have the welded cross member under the radiator. Could you post a picture of the one you are talking about?

Just look at the axle options. They could have anything, I've even heard of 3.08 gears even though I don't think there is a door code for it. Ford pretty much does whatever they want, and always have. You would think they would at least standardize some parts at some point. They couldn't even make up their mind on which side of the engine to put the starter on.

Original post updated with information from you guys. Thanks for adding!

I'm pretty sure all three have the welded cross member under the radiator. Could you post a picture of the one you are talking about?
1991:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/2016-06-27 19.41.21.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/2016-06-27 19.41.36.jpg

1994:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1994 Explorer/Pictures/2016-06-27 19.37.47.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1994 Explorer/Pictures/2016-06-27 19.38.16.jpg

It's the almost flat bar going between the frame rails (welded to the bottom) that sits between the front body mount and front stabilizer bar.

I am 99% sure my 93 explorer has that cross member. I can verify tomorrow. I'm not sure its function, but it makes a decent place to hook a chain if you need a tow.

I'm guessing it's to stiffen the front end up, possibly in the event of a t-bone in the front end. Maybe try and transfer some energy to the other frame rail.

Don't forget about the 93tm head update.

Did the brakes ever change? I'm pretty sure they were always the same rotor in front and 10" drum in back.

One thing I would like to see is poll to see what is the most common gear ratios offered based on the door code.

I've even heard of 3.08 gears even though I don't think there is a door code for it.

Axle code 43 is 3.08 open. Although that would be a diff tag I guess and not a door code.

My 94 has 2 O2s

That crossmember....i know it well, that is where, when I've had radiator leakage, the coolant would always collect. Or it seemed like it anyway.

Does anyone know what the "Calibration" sticker is on the door near the striker? Is it different for cali emissions or years?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a real interesting looking sway bar bushing on that '94. I wonder if the hollow part is cut out or it came like that.
I think I've looked at it before and it's hollowed out but there's mold marks inside. It looks like that's the way it came from the factory. Saving on rubber I guess?

Back