differences in 4 generation and third generation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

differences in 4 generation and third generation

monty73741

Reaction score
City, State
BALTIMORE, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 xls
I work at an auto auction so i see many explorers come through. I notice some differences in between the 3rd gen and 4 gen. Also i noticed differences in 06-07 & 08-10.

third generation roof bars too short for 4th generation without modification
third and fourth generation outer rocker different step bars for third wont fit

Stock radio in the 08-10 has an aux plug and 3.5mm adapter in center console also the stock radio has blue tooth for a phone. (i dont know about navigation since i havent seen an explorer with navigation)

of course third gen and 4 gen intake different
08-10 explorer you can pull the miles up with using the key by hitting the button on dash or on cluster

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I work at an auto auction so i see many explorers come through. I notice some differences in between the 3rd gen and 4 gen. Also i noticed differences in 06-07 & 08-10.

third generation roof bars too short for 4th generation without modification
third and fourth generation outer rocker different step bars for third wont fit

Stock radio in the 08-10 has an aux plug and 3.5mm adapter in center console also the stock radio has blue tooth for a phone. (i dont know about navigation since i havent seen an explorer with navigation)

of course third gen and 4 gen intake different
08-10 explorer you can pull the miles up with using the key by hitting the button on dash or on cluster

Actually the 08-10 Bluetooth is not stock, you have to have sync as an option! My 08 has the phone logo on the radio but if you push it it shows No Phone on the display!
Navigation was an option in these years but found mostly on the Eddie Bauer or limited packages!

well thank you for the update....it something i didnt know. was told if it got a phone put it in....
trust me most the eddie and limited dont have fact nav. most cars that have nav are expeditions factory.

Another thing too - I have an 07 limited and in that year the premium audio radio had the 3.5mm input jack. Mine has the jack - which is now non-functional as I have a Kenwood nav installed.

well who knows..could be an 07 plus......just what i have observed going through repos and such...

Back