Difficult shifting, wheels turn with clutch out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difficult shifting, wheels turn with clutch out?

skrylla

Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 5-speed
On my '01 Sport 5-speed I've had a relatively difficult time shifting into gears for several years now... but it's been only a mild nuisance until recently. 1st gear has always required a little effort but recently, sometimes 2 and 4 are nearly impossible. For years, if I clutched/shifted too quickly into 3rd it would grind just a bit going in. Suffice it to say there's at least one thing going on.

I'd like to narrow the problem down so I have an idea what I'm in for...

Here's something I've noticed recently that I hope will help in diagnosing: Sitting on level ground with the tranny in neutral, if I press the shift lever toward any gear the truck will ever-so-slightly budge. The most noticeable forward movement is toward 1st, rearward movement noted when pulled toward reverse. It does not matter whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged; the same slight budge is there.

Clutch fluids appear normal. I haven't tried bleeding yet, but I'm guessing it's going to be more involved than that...

Thanks guys----------

I would say the slave cylinder is going bad, not allowing full use. or the clutch system has air in the line.
good luck

My 5-speed does the same thing. I've generally not had a problem with it, but sometimes I need to fight it to get it in gear.

Back