Dimensions of 5th gen compared to new 6th gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dimensions of 5th gen compared to new 6th gen

jhu8

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hey all, just a quick clarification. Is the new 6th gen 2020+ explorers only 0.5” longer than the 5th gen? Width being exactly the same?

My 2017 explorer fits in my garage well and I just want to make sure my 22 ST that I have ordered will fit as well. Upon my research, they’re pretty much identical length and width.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since the Ford website specs are all we have to go by, I would say that is correct. The width with the mirrors extended or folded is slightly different with the 2021 being 0.2 " wider with them folded and 0.9" narrower when extended. I'm guessing that the 2022 would be the same.

Peter

Since the Ford website specs are all we have to go by, I would say that is correct. The width with the mirrors extended or folded is slightly different with the 2021 being 0.2 " wider with them folded and 0.9" narrower when extended. I'm guessing that the 2022 would be the same.

Peter
Thanks for the details. Did you mean 0.9” wider?

Thanks for the details. Did you mean 0.9” wider?
No, the 2017 is wider. 90.2 vs the 2021 89.3. I believe the new mirrors are a different shape.

Peter

No, the 2017 is wider. 90.2 vs the 2021 89.3. I believe the new mirrors are a different shape.

Peter
Yup you’re right.

Peter
interesting. Thanks.

Back