• Register Today It's free!

dimmer not working

2003ExplodeR

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I just installed an Alpine 9833 Head unit in my Ex. From looking at the chart on the stereo the orange wire was for the dimmer.....I hooked that up.....On the harness I got it has an orange and orange/black both for dimmer it says.....

What am I doing wrong......

Dont know if you figured out your problem or not.....I was just panning through here and saw that there was no reply post.

The orange wire on the Alpine is the dimmer and the orange on the harness is as well. That is the one that you want to use. Don't use the orange/black wire as that is a negative dimmer........

To verify you have the correct wire look at the Ford Factory harness and IIRC the dimmer wire is red/black. Check to make sure the orange lines up with it when plugged in.
Hope this helps..

alot of times with an aftermarket radio the dimmer doesnt "dim" like the factory did. meaning you cant "roll" the dimmer switch and make it fade with the rest of the dash lights. on an aftermarket radio it will usually be bright with the lights off, and a little dimmer with the lights on.

Back