Dimming side mirrors? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dimming side mirrors?

Anyone know the answer to the OP's question, without being a bickering junior high kid?

I'm also interested.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know the answer to the OP's question, without being a bickering junior high kid?

I'm also interested.

as I mentioned

you'll need to have the auto-diming review mirror. Then you'd need the new dimming side mirrors - wiring of both pieces to the right pins on the tray that is the GEM module - potentially an additional fuse (would need a wire diagram to verify) and a software update/OPC load to the car's computer system.

all doable - but time consuming and potentially spendy. I suspect those mirrors are around 300+ each.

Would need access to the following.

Wire schematic for a car with said features
wire schematic for car without features - or rather like your specific model
parts
software bits - and the ability to interchange them.

that last piece will be the kicker - pay a dealer - or a dealer tech.

Unless I'm missing something, you are again reinforcing what HughCares stated. Options on one vehicle may be standard on the other. So the limited has tow package, bliss and inflatable belts standard and the Sport has a better engine standard and looks better.

You can get those options on the Sport, but you cant get the Sport engine in the limited, so i suppose the limited is limited in that regard.

No, the limited does not have the tow package, bliss or inflatable seatbelts.
When you purchase the limited, all of the above are extra options, in which the tow package is a single item upgrade and the latter part of the 301A option...which is not standard...I repeat does not come standard and requires you to pay over and above the base price of the vehicle.

The sport comes with all of the above, except some features in the 301A option, which is auto high beams, rain sensing wipers, lane departure and auto dimming mirrors.
The only available option is adaptive cruise control, otherwise from the factory as a "base" vehicle without any options...it has more offerings than the limited.

Options on one vehicle may be standard on the other. So the limited has tow package, bliss and inflatable belts standard........
Those features are an option. Not standard on the Limited.

Peter

as I mentioned

you'll need to have the auto-diming review mirror. Then you'd need the new dimming side mirrors - wiring of both pieces to the right pins on the tray that is the GEM module - potentially an additional fuse (would need a wire diagram to verify) and a software update/OPC load to the car's computer system.

all doable - but time consuming and potentially spendy. I suspect those mirrors are around 300+ each.

Would need access to the following.

Wire schematic for a car with said features
wire schematic for car without features - or rather like your specific model
parts
software bits - and the ability to interchange them.

that last piece will be the kicker - pay a dealer - or a dealer tech.
Will need the low voltage power supply as well.

Peter

For the record, I absolutely LOVE my Explorer. It perplexes me why some people would think otherwise or suggest I should sell my vehicle based on a single gripe, regardless of whether or not I feel Ford "should have" had a particular feature or not. Don't like my whining? There's plenty of other threads on this forum for folks to go to. And while I have no problem admitting to whining for the sake of argument, I hardly consider what I did as literal "whining."

In short: I don't care that you don't care. You know who you are. Piss off. Thanks for the genuine replies, everyone!!

Tony

Sorry to extend the non-relavent discussion, but....Question: Are the same options/standard features the same between the US and Canada? I don't think they are.

According to Ford.com(the US version), the Sport has the Bliss and Tow package, AWD standard, but it doesn't appear the inflatable belts are standard.

On the otherhand, the Limited appears to have Navigation, Heated wheel, power adjust pedals...and a few other things that the Sport has as optional. It's also standard as FWD.

Both have infatable belts as optional and as Hugh and 613GT500 has stated, some options are not available on the Sport and vice versa.

In the end, the newer models(Sport and Limited) have different standard features and different options, but Ford has closed to gap on the available features between the 2(earlier models gave the Limited more options). But, to say a stock Sport has more standard features vs. the stock Limited is not necessarily true, just different.

For the record, I absolutely LOVE my Explorer. It perplexes me why some people would think otherwise or suggest I should sell my vehicle based on a single gripe, regardless of whether or not I feel Ford "should have" had a particular feature or not. Don't like my whining? There's plenty of other threads on this forum for folks to go to. And while I have no problem admitting to whining for the sake of argument, I hardly consider what I did as literal "whining."

In short: I don't care that you don't care. You know who you are. Piss off. Thanks for the genuine replies, everyone!!

Tony

Here's an argument. Why does my 12 year old Saab have auto-dimming mirrors and self-cornering and self-leveling bi-xenons while a $50k Sport does not have either 10 years later?

Don't get me wrong. I knew what options my used but otherwise loaded XLT had and I paid well under $30k so I don't have a prob with cheaper to maintain halogens and honestly, the mirrors are not a bother for me, but I'd expect these things on a $50k vehicle these days.

Here's an argument. Why does my 12 year old Saab have auto-dimming mirrors and self-cornering and self-leveling bi-xenons while a $50k Sport does not have either 10 years later?

Saabs were built by aircraft engineers, Fords are built by marketers and accountants.

Somewhere, a consumer study showed things like auto park and other worthless gimmick options were more important than high quality headlights.

Frankly, after driving my Touareg with auto cornering/leveling bi-xenons, her XLT is almost undriveable at night.

Sorry to extend the non-relavent discussion, but....Question: Are the same options/standard features the same between the US and Canada? I don't think they are.

According to Ford.com(the US version), the Sport has the Bliss and Tow package, AWD standard, but it doesn't appear the inflatable belts are standard.

On the otherhand, the Limited appears to have Navigation, Heated wheel, power adjust pedals...and a few other things that the Sport has as optional. It's also standard as FWD.

Both have infatable belts as optional and as Hugh and 613GT500 has stated, some options are not available on the Sport and vice versa.

In the end, the newer models(Sport and Limited) have different standard features and different options, but Ford has closed to gap on the available features between the 2(earlier models gave the Limited more options). But, to say a stock Sport has more standard features vs. the stock Limited is not necessarily true, just different.

If we are going to compare "apples to apples", then there is quite a bit of a difference between the Limited and Sport, without options; here in Canada.

Tow package, bliss and inflatable seatbelts being the difference and will cost $1250 if selected individually.

If one opts for the 301A option at $2250 (or $2750 with tow), it will include the following:
Enhanced Active Park Assist with Park Out Assist, Perpendicular Park and Side Park Sensors
Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist
BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert
Rain-sensing wipers
Auto-dimming driver’s-side mirror
Auto high-beams
Inflatable rear seatbelts for 2nd-row outboard seats
Multi-contour front seats

Tony

haha, you win bro. you got the last word!

Back