DIN size? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIN size?

E

EBRUSHER

What DIN size is the Ford radio (1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD)? Pioneer makes a double DIN size (FH-P404) and I wonder if it would fit into the existing Ford slot. How can you get the rear controls to work if you change the OEM system?

Thanks for the info

------------------

I have been looking in to this same problem for about a month for my '95 XLT that has the same interior. I found out that this Ford design is somewhat stupid when you try to replace it. I finally discovered that the Explorer stock unit is really a standard (single) DIN player. However, for whatever reason, it has been connected to a face plate that is not a Single DIN, Double DIN, or the 1.5 DIN used by GM and Chrysler. When you remove the stereo you will see that the actual unit is the same as any standard DIN unit until you hit the faceplate. So a Double DIN will not fit, the opening is not large enough. Neither will the 1.5's you will find in some catalogs. You have to use a standard or single DIN reciever. This is the most common size anyways. You will have to purchase a larger spacer or sleeve to fill the gap in the dash. However, the player to fit in the lower part of the hole in order to clear the airduct. I ordered from Crutchfield who provides the instructions, kits, and wiring harnesses free with your purchase. Since you will have to use a spacer, theirs is one of the better looking ones for the Explorer. I don't no about the rear controls, but I would think it could be done. Like I said I have been looking into this problem for a while so if you have any questions email:

bird382@aol.com

I have been looking in to this same problem for about a month for my '95 XLT that has the same interior. I found out that this Ford design is somewhat stupid when you try to replace it. I finally discovered that the Explorer stock unit is really a standard (single) DIN player. However, for whatever reason, it has been connected to a face plate that is not a Single DIN, Double DIN, or the 1.5 DIN used by GM and Chrysler. When you remove the stereo you will see that the actual unit is the same as any standard DIN unit until you hit the faceplate. So a Double DIN will not fit, the opening is not large enough. Neither will the 1.5's you will find in some catalogs. You have to use a standard or single DIN reciever. This is the most common size anyways. You will have to purchase a larger spacer or sleeve to fill the gap in the dash. However, the player to fit in the lower part of the hole in order to clear the airduct. I ordered from Crutchfield who provides the instructions, kits, and wiring harnesses free with your purchase. Since you will have to use a spacer, theirs is one of the better looking ones for the Explorer. Like I said I have been looking into this problem for a while so if you have any questions email:

bird382@aol.com

Back