• Register Today It's free!

Disable pats/SecuriLock

bcburlette

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 2wd
I recently bought my ex from a used car dealer, I was only given one key so now I cant code new keys and im screwed if I lose this one. So I was trying to find a cheap way to disable(or workaround) pats, I was thinking of pulling apart the steering column and solder my existing key to a part of the lock cylinder, thus enabling me to use standard keys and not chipped ones. Does anyone know if this would work? Or you can suggest any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not simply have additional keys programmed? They cost $5 on Ebay, WalMart will generally cut them for free, and you can have a locksmith or dealer program them for under a half hour of labor (call around... all my local locksmiths wanted an hour to program them... a 5 minute job... Dealer only wanted 1/2 hour so I took it there).

-Joe

I had read somewhere that you still needed two keys even to have the dealer reprogram them, or else the whole system needs to be redone... i dont know but thx for the suggestion and i will look into that first.

I had read somewhere that you still needed two keys even to have the dealer reprogram them, or else the whole system needs to be redone... i dont know but thx for the suggestion and i will look into that first.

No. The dealer can reprogram a second if you have only one. I recommend getting a third key once you have a second and programming it yourself. It will range anywhere from $30-$70 to get it programmed.

As mentioned, a dealer or locksmith can program as many or as few as you want regardless of how many you have currently. But the owner needs to have two working keys to program a third.

If you're having a second one programmed, it's only another 30 seconds to have the dealership program the third. If you're paying for two, they shouldn't charge you more for the third (or fourth or fifth or sixth...).

And I would also agree that you should get a third... that way if one gets lost, you have two working keys to program another spare with.

-Joe

The system does have a limit of up to 8 keys programmed max. There is a computer option to set PATS for unlimited but you needs a dealer's PATS programming machine to perform that operation

Back