• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Disable the GEM to TCC

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
95 Explorer XLT My GEM is defective and will on occasion send a constant 100% duty cycle to the TCC at un opportune times. I did the Brown wire mod and use it to engage 4WDHi when I need it. The problem is I need to set the selector to 4WD to engage the CAD. I need to disable the GEM from engaging the Transfer case so I can drive with the CAD locked and ready in case I need to manually engage the T-case.

Below is a general representation of brown wire in relation to its location in the truck,the switch I used and where it is connected.
BWM.jpg

I cut wire C thinking it was from the TC relay. But the GEM is still able to engage the transfer case. I thought wire B was from the TOD relay. Witch wire do I need to cut so the GEM cannot engage the transfer case and my switch can?

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
From the Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod thread:

gijoecam said:
Now, this is the point of no return. Clip the brown wire that goes UP AND TO THE LEFT from the splice as shown here:
2584167166_7e84688cd3.jpg

What makes you think that the GEM is defective? It's only a dumb box that does as it's programmed to do... If it's getting erroneous signals from one or more of its sensors, that can cause the same issue.

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I've ben on this issue for a while. Lights blink 6 times and it either functions at 100% duty cycle all the time (when wheels are spinning) or not at all there are other issues. In addition to the 4wd not functioning

1 Door chime is on when driver's door is open regard less of if the key is in the ignition or engine running.

2 Interior lights do not come on when doors are open.

All these things in combination point to a defective GEM?

Unless someone knows a way to test a hall effect senor? which would only explain the 4wd troubles.