Disc brake anti-rattle clips...? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disc brake anti-rattle clips...?

To the OP, the guy at Autozone was actually half-way right. While those are, as you've discovered, anti-rattle clips, they do also serve as wear indicators. As the pads wear, eventually, the little flat piece of the clip, that sort of stands out on it's own, will be closer to the rotor then the remaining friction material of the pads. At this point, it will make contact with the rotor, and you're brakes will make a very annoying squealing noise, to let you know that it is time to change the pads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cross posting for info:
I found the clips at NAPA, part #82304, for 79 cents apiece.

Thanks. This thread spared me untold frustration and stress!

I know this thread is ancient, but I found it immensely helpful. The description “tapping the rotor with a hammer” was so perfect, I knew I found the solution to my current problem. So after many years of using all of you to troubleshoot, I just had to join and say Thanks. So. Thanks! Saved me a lot of time & money.

Just ask for the hardware kit to get the clips. Usually $8 for the kit.

May as well have new orientation pins as well.

h5554_zpsi0sossp4.jpg

Hey everybody. I mostly lurk here, but this is great forum, and has been very useful to me over the past couple of years.

I recently did a front brake job on my '94 XLT 4x4. I now have noticed a slight metallic "ping/clang" noise and am fairly certain it's because I did not put AR clips on the inside pads. The noise disappears whenever I touch the brake pedal. Best way to describe this noise is it's as if you were tapping on the disc with a hammer.

I've searched google, this forum, and Glacier's EXCELLENT tutorial on 1st gen brakes, but have not seen any pic that shows this clip and/or where/how it's installed on the inner pad, at least specific to the 1st gen Explorer's pad.

I DID purchase from AutoZone a new caliper hardware kit that had the 4 metal/rubber retainer pins. There were also 2 small clip-looking things in the hardware bag, but the guys at AZ thought they were "squeal" clips that scrape the disc when the pads wear thin, giving audible warning that the pads are due to be replaced. mmmkay...

I've never used that type of "squeal" clip on any brake job before, so thinking they were optional, I just tossed them, along with the old pins.

Now, I'm thinking they were in fact the AR clips, and should have been installed. And this is what is now causing this noise.

At the risk of redundancy...does anyone have a pic of these clips, and where they are to be installed? I suppose the inner pad will NOT fall out, as it's retained by the grooves in the caliper bracket and the piston. But it's annoying, especially following an otherwise good, new brake job.

Thanks in advance.

:)
Hey everybody. I mostly lurk here, but this is great forum, and has been very useful to me over the past couple of years.

I recently did a front brake job on my '94 XLT 4x4. I now have noticed a slight metallic "ping/clang" noise and am fairly certain it's because I did not put AR clips on the inside pads. The noise disappears whenever I touch the brake pedal. Best way to describe this noise is it's as if you were tapping on the disc with a hammer.

I've searched google, this forum, and Glacier's EXCELLENT tutorial on 1st gen brakes, but have not seen any pic that shows this clip and/or where/how it's installed on the inner pad, at least specific to the 1st gen Explorer's pad.

I DID purchase from AutoZone a new caliper hardware kit that had the 4 metal/rubber retainer pins. There were also 2 small clip-looking things in the hardware bag, but the guys at AZ thought they were "squeal" clips that scrape the disc when the pads wear thin, giving audible warning that the pads are due to be replaced. mmmkay...

I've never used that type of "squeal" clip on any brake job before, so thinking they were optional, I just tossed them, along with the old pins.

Now, I'm thinking they were in fact the AR clips, and should have been installed. And this is what is now causing this noise.

At the risk of redundancy...does anyone have a pic of these clips, and where they are to be installed? I suppose the inner pad will NOT fall out, as it's retained by the grooves in the caliper bracket and the piston. But it's annoying, especially following an otherwise good, new brake job.

Thanks in advance.

:)
Yes, they are anti-rattle clips. Without them you will get a metallic clicking / popping sound.

Back