Disengaging the driveshaft? Duh... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disengaging the driveshaft? Duh...

BigZac

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport SOHCV6
Okay... so I'm the guy that's always taken cars to mechanics to have things done to them. I know hardly anything about my '99 Explorer Sport.

I'm moving cross-country and I need to tow the truck behind me. I can't find a car carrier that's got the nylon safety straps large enough to fit around my tires... so my only option other than to have my wife drive the truck 1200 miles is to tow it on a tow dolly (two wheels up, two down). But in order to do this, the guys at the rental place told me that I need to "disengage the drive shaft," and that it is as simple as removing a bolt or two. I've browsed these posts and a Chilton's book and can't find any advice on how to do that.

Are they right? With the rear wheels on the ground, would I need to disengage anything? And how easy is this to do? If someone knows of a post that describes this process, be a pal and point me in the right direction... or any resource for that matter.

Thanks all--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why not just get a trailer that takes all 4 wheels off the ground. i rented from budget and didnt have to do anything about my driveshaft. and wont wear out anything

Budget told me that the car carrier (what you call a trailer) won't fit my car because of the wheel wells that rise above the platform itself. There is an "aluminum" car carrier <?> that the fellow at Budget told me about that is basically a platform on top of the wheels that should accomodate me, but like most rental places, he couldn't guarantee that would be what I got. So now I'm stuck with waiting until practically the day before I move to find out if Budget will be able to come through for me or not.

Budget *did* say that the Explorer 4x2 XL (I think that's the right model) would fit because it only has 15" (or maybe 16"?) tires. Like I said, I know little about my truck... I think it's got 17" Goodyears on it. Since the nylon straps are the problem, though, I'm wondering how *ANY* type of car carrier will be able to accomodate me. In theory, don't all towing devices--be they dollies or car carriers--secure the fornt wheels with the straps?

ARGH!

I agree that you should pull the truck completely off the ground. Rent a 2 axle flat trailer and use winching straps to strap the truck down by the rear axle and front frame members or A-arms. You just need a normal 2 axle vehicle trailer.

And in case you don't find a trailer that will let you tow your Explorer your rear driveshaft is held on by four bolts. I think they are 14 mm but can't remember for sure. You will also need to remove the metal clamps that hold on the rubber boot over the slip yoke. Once the four bolts are removed and the rubber boot & clamps, the driveshaft will pull right out.

Back