Distance to Empty (DTE) problem

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
2014 PIU

After using Forscan to turn off dark car mode and changing from uk gallons to us gallons and then back to uk gallons my miles to empty says approximately double what it actually should. With a full tank it says 680.

I've heard that it takes about 500 miles to learn but the fuel economy readings but I've been through about 4 tanks of gas since then(about 1200 miles) and it still does it.

Anyone have any idea what I might be able to correct in forscan? Or anything I can do?

I don't care much but it bothers my wife who is the primary driver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious why you want the Miles to Empty to read Imperial instead of U.S, gallons? An Imperial gallon has approximately 20% more volume than a U.S. gallon. So a full tank reads 680 kms to empty? Even that is high. I think the best I ever got was around 540 kms to empty in the Summer. I'm not sure why there should be a "relearn" period as it just a simple conversion.

Peter

Just curious why you want the Miles to Empty to read Imperial instead of U.S, gallons? An Imperial gallon has approximately 20% more volume than a U.S. gallon. So a full tank reads 680 kms to empty? Even that is high. I think the best I ever got was around 540 kms to empty in the Summer. I'm not sure why there should be a "relearn" period as it just a simple conversion.

Peter

I just messed with it for a minute and then changed it back. And it isn’t km it is miles. So the best I can really hope for is 340 or so. I just want to know if it will learn and when or if I have to do something

Peter

I think I misread your message. I put it back to imperial because that’s what it was when we got it.

I think I misread your message. I put it back to imperial because that’s what it was when we got it.
Was the car previously from Canada or Mexico? There would otherwise be no reason to have the vehicle set up for the metric system. If so, just set it back to U.S. gallons. The U.S. doesn't use either the Metric system or Imperial system. It has its own U.S. Customary Units which is somewhat similar to Imperial and in some cases, identical.

Peter

Was the car previously from Canada or Mexico? There would otherwise be no reason to have the vehicle set up for the metric system. If so, just set it back to U.S. gallons. The U.S. doesn't use either the Metric system or Imperial system. It has its own U.S. Customary Units which is somewhat similar to Imperial and in some cases, identical.

Peter

no it was a Michigan state police car. It reads in miles. It says miles per gallon it is just set for uk gallons maybe to bump the mpg? When changed to us gallons it is the same. Still says 6** miles to empty.

Any update on this Nathan? Has anything changed? Your reading should be set to U.S. gallons.

Peter

there's also a setting in the menu to change miles to empty calculation from normal driving to heavier use estimates

there's also a setting in the menu to change miles to empty calculation from normal driving to heavier use estimates
Not saying that isn't so, but that is the first I've heard about it. Where in the settings would that be? I see on page 116 of the Manual under Low Fuel Reminder it mentions Distance to Empty under highway driving the reminder may come on in the 35 to 80 miles range and that under severe duty driving it may come on at 35 miles but it doesn't mention any settings.

Peter

Back