Distortion Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Distortion Question

98redxltz123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' XLT
I have a 98 XLT with im pretty sure premium sound (theres an remote wire from the factory harness going into my after market cd player dual cd770 and another going to my sub's amp). When I turn the bass up and then the volume, distortion comes out of the 4 door speakers, really annoying. I ordered an amp bypass harness but I'm not sure if thats the answer or not. I opened the rear panel and theres a white box with 2 harnesses coming out, one rectangle and the other sorta square and bout half the size of the other (not really small like ive seen before), but I'm not sure its even the amp because I can unplug both of the harnesses and sound still comes out of the 4 door speakers like nothing happened. I would appreicate an answer or some advice on how to get rid of the distortion and if I'm heading in the right direction or not. THANKS!

first step would be to buy a new head unit. Dual is a very low end brand which isnt known for its quality.

Your sound is only as good as the processing you use.

If you can disconnect those plugs and still get sound. Chances are it's already been bypassed from the deck. Did you install the deck? Or was it already in there?

Ok changed my deck to Pioneer DEP-3900 but now i connect the remote wire from my speakers to it and they won't turn on, turns on amp for subs fine tho... checked fuse for radio its working fine maybe something else?

Back