Sub Distortion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sub Distortion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok are u sure ur amp is working properly? can u hook the sub up to someone elses amp and see what u get?

im kinda stumped to whats wrong here..sounds like mabey theres no signal to the sub just static???? or the sub it royaly nuked?? does ur amp have a crossover built in? if so what do u have that set to?

I hate to say this but I'd go to a local audio shop and pay them to figure out what going on, all the common things have been checked.

The only other thing is check the RCA's to make sure that the plastic casing isn't damaged which would kill the signal and bring in noise.

Aha! Then I'd guess it's the amp.

what wire ga did you run between the amp and sub?

it is what i think is 12 gauge....actually i found some (whats looks) thick speaker wire around the house, thought it was 12 gauge but im actually not sure, how big is 12 gauge?

I had a problemw ith this the other day. If there is a Low-Pass Hz adjustment (mine was from 40-250)... try adjusting it to see if that works. I set mine around 190. Also, this will sound dumb, but chekc to see if one of the leads on the sub didnt break off.

_justin

12 should be absolutely plenty.

190 hrz YIKES!..mine is sey to about 55hrz..u want bass not trebble =) lol alot of speakers dont have enough range to run that high hrz

i think drews new 15s can though =) yuppy ******* lol

but back on topic..what do u mean when u switch it to high pass u can hear the music? is it not distorted like when its set to low pass? i know its gunna be distorted but the same kind of distortion?

where do u have the RCAs ran and what brand are the RCAs

on the x-over on the amp set the hrz or freq..dont remmber what its called all the way down yo 50 or the lowest number see if its still sounds disttorted

I mean that when I switch it to high pass, no bass comes out and I can kind of hear the music (not just the bass in the music). It sounds crappy on high pass, obviously because its a subwoofer ment for lows.

I have the RCAs ran on the passanger side, and the power and remote turn on ran on the drivers side. The RCAs came with the kit, they look like real high quality RCA tho.

i think u should have it tested at an audio place like sugested b4...the only thing i can think of now is that the amp is gone...but then again it could be the sub..but it could also be a wire to something so just have it checked by a profesional with the right tools and knowledge

lol, im not gonna give up....if this helps, when i take the sub out of the box and free air it (its bad i know but o well) the distortion dissapears, the sub moves just as much as with the box, just without distortion.

ok...i dont know if this is gunna apply..i have a 15" sub DVC...had it in a not so good box so i built a new box...when taking the sub out of the old box the slack on the speaker wire wassent as much as i thought so it just ripped out of the terminals on the sub....when it did that it turned the terminal losining it..so when i put the sub in the new box it sounded like a coil was blown because when the sub hit the wire moved and since the terminal wassent tight it made a kind of scratching distortion noise

so if the terminal were to say..break off..or bend/turn? in such a way it was grounding on the chassis of the sub or the other terminal...u could get more distortion causing the problems u are having

so what id do is take the sub out bring it inside get a flashlight and poke and pull on every wire/terminal/metal thingy and do dad on the sub just make sure to be gentle
u may have just pushed the wire to far in and its grounding or the terminal may be losse something like that lemme know if that helped any

its np dude..so far i havent helped ya =) its still not working..if u want hit me up on AIM XZXMike71 or MSN mhn3773@hotmail.com im on either all the time

Originally posted by wired_af
lol, im not gonna give up....if this helps, when i take the sub out of the box and free air it (its bad i know but o well) the distortion dissapears, the sub moves just as much as with the box, just without distortion.

Erm, is the box the proper airspace for your sub? Sounds like it could possibly be too small.

hey CQ..could the box being to small really cause it to sound THAT bad? gesh didnt think it would do that i thought it would just affect the power handaling of the sub

so along with not runing a DVC on 1VC ill put dont make the box to small...yep check lol =)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey guys thanks for all your help, i got it working...turns out its was the low pass that needed adjustment.....I feel stupid gettin you guys all riled up over such a simple matter! I could have sworn I had that low pass set right!!!!!

thanks for all the help

Back